How much do places go for in AAA [Executive Estates]?

taked4700

japanese japan
Hi,

1. How much do places go for in AAA?

2. How much do places in AAA go for?

3. How much do places of AAA go for?

Do all of them sound idiomatic? AAA is a name of a gated community.

I guess 1 is idiomatic while the others are not.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  • Myridon

English - US
    1 and 2 are both fine. I would probably use 2 as "places in AAA" describes a particular thing (houses in other gated communites are different houses). 1 would probably be more useful in comparing the prices of the same thing in to places - How much do apples go for in Japan (as compared to here - assuming that apples are apples everywhere :)).

Last edited:

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    It's a bit difficult when we don't know much about "AAA".
    I suggest that you are talking about the cost of places in AAA.

(1) leaves me confused about what kind of places you are talking about.
    (3) is not sensible.

Only (2) makes sense to me because it includes the essential noun phrase "places in AAA".

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I would accept either (1) or (2), but I agree with panjandrum that (1) is harder to understand because it splits up the phrase "places in AAA" and puts other words between the two parts. It takes extra mental effort to return to "places" when one hears "in AAA," and increases the chances of being misunderstood.

Also, most English speakers (or at least most AE speakers) would not use "place," unless they are discussing a trailer park or something else where one buys a place in order to put something in it. In a gated community, I'd say "homes" or "houses."

taked4700

japanese japan
    Thank you, Myridon, Panjandrum and Egmont.

Honestly speaking, I came across "How much do places go for in Executive Estates?" when reading an English Conversation textbook.

When I see this sentence it occurs to me whether it is ok to say, "How much do places in Executive Estates go for?" and "How much do places of Executive Estates go for?", which is the reason I posted this thread.

In the textbook, they are talking about life of expats in China. One said he and his family have been living in an enclove called "Executive Estates." The other asked "How much do places go for in Executive Estates?" In answering to this, the one said, "The company pays $20,000 a month to keep me and mine. Besides our ranch-style home, we've got our own school, golf course and shopping mall...."

So, I'm afraid I would have misled you into misunderstanding.

Let me make sure a couple of things.

1. The word places in "How much do places go for in Executive Estates?" means real estate including land and a house.

2. The word places in "How much do places go for in Executive Estates?" does not mean facilities such as a bookshop or supermarket.

3. The expression "Places of Executive Estates" is not grammatical.

Are these right?

Thanks in advance.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    1. The word places in "How much do places go for in Executive Estates?" means real estate including land and a house. :tick:

2. The word places in "How much do places go for in Executive Estates?" does not mean facilities such as a bookshop or supermarket. :tick:

3. The expression "Places of Executive Estates" is not grammatical. :tick:

Are these right?

JamesM

1. The word places in "How much do places go for in Executive Estates?" means real estate including land and a house.
    It could also mean rentals or a lease. It could mean a condominium (no land and no house). It depends entirely on the context. "You live in the Bristol Apartment Complex, don't you? How much do those places go for?" would be very typical in American English (as would "How much do those place run?").

In other words, it is probably a house in this context but that is not the only meaning of "places", just so that you're not confused when reading another context.

< Previous | Next >