how much does that singer rock?

< Previous | Next >

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
Hello dear members

what does this context mean?
Korean Elvis is singing
Marshall: how much Korean Elvis rock? I'll answer that infinity. He rocks infinity

does it mean how much awesome is he? I'm not sure:confused:

Basically is this structure correct grammatically?

Thanks a bunch everyone in advance

• ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    I think this would be: "How much does KE rock [semi-rhetorical question which you're about to answer]? He rocks infinitely." Yes, it means "He's awesome."

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
    I think this would be: "How much does KE rock [semi-rhetorical question which you're about to answer]? He rocks infinitely." Yes, it means "He's awesome."
    Thank you for dispelling my doubts.
    Is that structure basically right? As in

how much awesome is your new shoes?
    How much awful was your trip to Iran?

Thank you in advance

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Hi, Yes, 'much' is incorrect here and you should omit it.
    Note that 'awesome' means 'impressive' or 'very good'; 'awful means 'terrible' or 'very bad'.

apricots

English - US
    And another correction since you have done it twice. "Shoes" is plural so it should be how awesome are your shoes new shoes?

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
    I was wondering why in the movie dialog as following: how much Korean Elvis rock?

Why don't we omit much there?
    But in my other sentences we should omit much?

Thank you for your help so far.:)

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
    Hi, Yes, 'much' is incorrect here and you should omit it.
    Note that 'awesome' means 'impressive' or 'very good'; 'awful means 'terrible' or 'very bad'.
    Thank you so far for your great help.:)
    I was wondering why in the movie dialog as following: how much does Korean Elvis rock? Why is it fine that we keep much in the sentence?
    But in my other sentences it must be omitted?

apricots

English - US
    I want to say that you need much because it is an adverb modifying the verb to rock. I don't know if that's technically correct though.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    I was wondering why in the movie dialog as following: how much does Korean Elvis rock? Why is it fine that we keep much in the sentence?
    But in my other sentences it must be omitted?
    It's for the same reason that we say "How much money does he have?" but "How tall is he?" (and never "How much tall is he."). Adjectives don't take "much."

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    Please note, in Glen's reply, he is referring to adjectives in the positive degree. We can say, with adjectives in the comparative degree: "How much happier are you now that you've joined Word Reference Forums?" (Well, in principle anyway... :D )

Siavash2015

Iranian-Persian
    Thank you Glenfarclas and ain'ttraslationfun? Those were really valuable informations and correcting. You both are sweet:)

< Previous | Next >