How much does the exam count for ?

Frances029

Senior Member
France
Hi people,

could you help me with that. A girl just has a chemical final and someone asks her : "What's it count for, fifty, sixty percent?" I suppose it's some kind of French equivalent for "coefficient". If I'm right can I say in French, "c'est quel coefficient ? 5, 6 ? Does fifty, sixty percent is the same than coefficient 5 or 6 in French ? Thanks a lot for your help.
 
  • Frances029

    Senior Member
    France
    So anyboby can help me with this one ?
    Personne ne connait les équivalent US/Fr entre les % et les coefficients Français. On aprle généralement de coefficient 1,2,3,4 etc pour une matière.
    Mais là j'ai peur d'écrire une bêtise si je mets coef 5 par exemple pour fifty %
    Thanks for your help.
     

    carog

    Senior Member
    French - France
    Bonsoir Frances029,
    tout dépend du total des coefficients et du nombre de matiéres. Une matière à coefficient 5 sur un total de 10 coefficients aura un poids de 50%. Si ton total de coefficients est 20, le coefficient 5 ne représente plus que 25% du total.
    Je ne sais pas si je suis très claire....:eek:
     

    misterk

    Moderator
    English-American
    A girl just has a chemical final and someone asks her : "

    The person is asking: What will be the relative importance of this final exam, as the teacher calculates your grade for the course?
    Thus, for example: The mid-term exam might count for 20% of your grade for the course; three short papers might each count for 10% of your grade; and the final exam might count for 50% of your grade.
     

    bh7

    Senior Member
    Canada; English
    could you help me with that. A girl just has a chemical final and someone asks her : "What's it count for, fifty, sixty percent?"

    In NA this question has nothing to do with subject coefficients. The girl is simply being asked how much weight the final exam will be given in determining her course grade in this Chemistry course. If the final exam counts 60%, then the remaining 40% of the course grade will be determined by term work (mid-term exam, lab work, homework, class participation, etc.). If she scores 80% on the final exam, this means she has earned 80 x 60% = 48% towards her course grade in this Chemistry course. The other determinants of the course grade are similarly weighted, with the weights of course summing to 100%.
     

    Frances029

    Senior Member
    France
    First thanks a lot for your answers. :) Now I see what it means but I still don't know how I can translate it in French, because it doesn't work like that. Any idea ?
     

    bh7

    Senior Member
    Canada; English
    Étant donné que les systèmes de notation sont très différents, il serait peut-être préférable de ne pas chercher une traduction directe. Mais, si une traduction directe existe, ce seront certainement les francophones de la France qui la trouveront.
     

    Frances029

    Senior Member
    France
    Merci beaucoup bh7...justement en France nous attribuons des coefficients aux matières enseignées. Une matière comme la philosohie par exemple a un coefficient 7. Ce qui veut dire que la note obtenue à l'examen du Baccalauréat sera mulipliée par 7.
    Dans ce cas ça ne me parait pas complètement idiot de garder l'idée de coefficient.
    Des avis sur la question ?
     

    carog

    Senior Member
    French - France
    Pour traduire l'idée du coefficient on parle de "weight system", par exemple dans cet extrait de Wiki sur le bac:

    Weight system Each baccalauréat stream has its own set of subjects that each carry a different weight (coefficient). This allows some subjects to be more important than others. For example, in the ES stream Economics & Social Science carry more weight than the Natural Sciences. Therefore the former is more important than the latter. Students usually study more for exams that carry heavier weights since the grade they obtain in these exams may have a bigger impact on their mean grade. It is in the calculation of this mean that passing the bac and eventual honours are determined.
     
    Top