How much money does an average/normal worker make for a month in this country?

< Previous | Next >

Morecoffee

Chinese
A makes 10 dollors, B makes 20 dollors.
Let's say there are only 2 people in this country. So average salary is 15 dollors.
But the sentence I made up is a bit different.
How much money does an average/normal worker make for a month in this country?
I want to know how much money a normal worker makes for a month.
Suppose Jim's a handy worker, and he makes 10 dollors a month, and Tom is a average/normal? worker,so he makes 5 dollors a month. But most workers are like Tom, who only make 5 dollors. So in this context,should I use "average" or "normal"?

Thank you so much

• Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    I'm a bit confused about your question.
    If there are only two people in the country—Jim and Tom—then Tom's income of five dollars is below average. By himself, he is not "average" or "normal".
    But aside from that, since you are talking about precise numbers, I think "average" is the term that you want.

Morecoffee

Chinese
    Hello, Cenzontle, Parla, thank you for your replies.
    Sorry I didn't make myself clear. Jim is a handy worker, and he makes 10 dollars a month. Tom is a normal worker, and he makes 5 dollors. James is a bad worker, and he makes only 3 dollars. In this imaginary world, there are only three people. But in a real world we're living in,there are millions of "Tom, James, Jim"s. But the majority of people are like Tom, they make 5 dollars a month. So now can I describe Tom as an normal or ordinary worker in the society. And how much money does a normal/ordinary worker make a month?
    Thank you

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    The right word is still average, not "normal" or "ordinary"; you are asking for a statistic.

And the US monetary unit is the dollar (sometimes you spell it "dollor").

In your imaginary country, with the wages you describe (which wouldn't sustain anyone for a day, let alone a week or a month), the average (median) wage would be $6.50 per month.

Last edited:

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    We just don't use the word "normal" in this sort of context. :(

Either "How much does the average worker earn in a month" or "What's the average monthly wage" would work, irrespective of how workers you're actually talking about. :)

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Hello, Cenzontle, Parla, thank you for your replies.
    Sorry I didn't make myself clear. Jim is a handy worker, and he makes 10 dollars a month. Tom is a normal worker, and he makes 5 dollors. James is a bad worker, and he makes only 3 dollars. In this imaginary world, there are only three people. But in a real world we're living in,there are millions of "Tom, James, Jim"s. But the majority of people are like Tom, they make 5 dollars a month. So now can I describe Tom as an normal or ordinary worker in the society. And how much money does a normal/ordinary worker make a month?
    Thank you
    If you add up all the money made by these workers and divide it by the number of workers, you will calculate the "average" wage. If most of them are like Tom, this number will be around 5 dollars. Someone making the average wage might be called "average" or "typical", but not "normal" or "ordinary".
    (If you make a list of workers based on their wages ordered from highest to lowest, and draw a line so that there are as many people above as below that line, that line is at the "median" wage.)

< Previous | Next >