How should I tell a girl you love her and don't sound weird?

rapadox

Banned
Slovak & Czech
Hello people, can anyone tell me which of these two sentences is correct?

1. How should I tell a girl you love her and don't sound weird?

2. How should I tell a girl you love her and not sound weird? -> this one sounds better to me but I have no idea why and why did we drop do and just say NOT SOUND instead of DON'T SOUND?

<< Second question deleted >>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hello rapadox. :)

The sentence relies on parallel structure.

How should I tell a girl you love her and [how should I] don't sound weird? :eek:
    How should I tell a girl you love her and [how should I] not sound weird?
    :)

As written, you are asking how to tell a girl the person you are talking to loves her. Is that what you mean?
    Or do you mean to ask for advice on how to tell a girl that you yourself love her?

Cagey

English - US
    In that case, you want one of these versions;
    This one is direct, and lets people know you are talking about yourself.
    How should I tell a girl I love her and not sound weird?

This makes the question general and impersonal, though people will probably guess that you are asking for advice for yourself:
    How should you tell a girl you love her and not sound weird?
    (In American English we use 'you' in general statements to mean 'someone/anyone'. I am not certain they would do the same in British English.)​

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    How should you tell a girl you love her and not sound weird?:tick:
    (In American English we use 'you' in general statements to mean 'someone/anyone'. I am not certain they would do the same in British English.)​
    Yes, we do. :)

Giorgio Spizzi

Italian
    Hullo, Cagey.

Now that we know that rapadox is the one who loves the girl, don't you think that the "interpolation" of a second [how should I], with its strong deontic charge, would be a little inappropriate?
    How about a rewording of the following kind " How should I tell a girl that I love her and [how would/could/can I] not sound weird?"?

GS :)

PS Maybe my laptop is to blame, but for some time now when I copy and paste another forero's sentence or text I can't find a way to get rid of the original italic, bold, etc.
    Do you think something can be done at the headquarters? Thank you. :)

Last edited:

Cagey

English - US
    I wasn't suggesting that the bracketed phrase should be included in the actual sentence. I just added it to give a sense of how the sentence was structured, in an attempt to answer the original question about why one version worked and the other didn't.

I didn't intend to go into the question of whether 'should' was the appropriate modal. I suspect that could lead to a whole other discussion.

[To clear a text of formatting, I use the cursor to select the text and then click the second edit icon from the left, the one with two A's and a red x. Then I add whatever formatting I want to use.]

< Previous | Next >