How to describe a dirty coffee mug?

< Previous | Next >

oculus

Arabic - Algeria
This is my first post in the forums, excuse me if it's the wrong place to ask this.

I'm currenty doing some efforts to start writing so I can improve my vocabulary. I noticed that when writing something, even in a personal log, I find many gaps and whenever I fill them they get impregnated in my memory. This is a better way than just reading a book and trying to remember the expressions used.

So now, I'm writing something about describing my desk. There's a plastic coffee mug that has a line of dry coffee that spilled from top to bottom. How can I say this in a better way? I tried looking on google for words related to: spill, dirty coffee mug, spilled coffee mug... but couldn't find any relevant information.

A last question, is this the best place to ask this kind of questions? I may have future similar requests, I want to make sure I'm on the right place.

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • suzi br

English / England
    Hello and welcome to the board.

I think you are in the right place to ask this sort of question,.

I have to say that if you are talking about the drips which run down the outside of a cup when it is used we do not have a specific word and in the context of describing your desk just saying a dirty mug would suffice.

oculus

Arabic - Algeria
    Thank you owlman. But isn't a stained coffee mug meant to be on the inside? The context here is that I was running fast, so I spilled some coffee on the way. Now it's on the desk, I want to say in a way that it's "stained" because I was running.

suzi br

English / England
    streak of coffee stain?
    Yes, "dried on streaks of coffee" might work. You need to write a whole sentence though, so that we can see how it looks --- because too much detail in the middle of a long list of other things on the desk would seem odd, stylistically.

owlman5

English-US
    If you really need to tell somebody that the stains are on the outside rather than the inside of the mug, you can add the phrase "on the outside": This coffee mug is badly stained on the outside.

< Previous | Next >