How to make difference in "declare, announce, state "

silentnymph

Taiwan Taiwanese
How to make difference in "declare, announce, state "?
They all have the meaning of make sb. know something.
But how to make difference between them?
Like... when should I use those words?
There must be some variation between them.

Thanks for helping me out.

• sdgraham

USA English
    The differences are subtle and depend upon the context.

Note, however, that declare, announce and state often are used in stilted (artificially formal) writing and U.S. journalistic practice is to avoid them, except in direct quotes or a few exceptions.

"Announce" is a possible exception where somebody actually introduces something new, e.g. announcing the next act in a variety show.

"Declare" fits when talking about tax forms and customs (for goods entering a country) and perhaps elsewhere.

Having said the above, my best advice is to avoid those three words if you can. I can't think of any context where you would be required to use "state."

If you read a major U.S. newspaper (perhaps the International Herald Tribune if available in your area), you will see that the vast majority of the time, the writer just uses "said."

Finally, please note that "sb." is a dictionary device for saving space and is not standard English and not among the abbreviations approved for this forum.

Last edited:

silentnymph

Taiwan Taiwanese
    The differences are subtle and depend upon the context.

Note, however, that declare, announce and state often are used in stilted (artificially formal) writing and U.S. journalistic practice is to avoid them, except in direct quotes or a few exceptions.

"Announce" is a possible exception where somebody actually introduces something new, e.g. announcing the next act in a variety show.

"Declare" fits when talking about tax forms and customs (for goods entering a country) and perhaps elsewhere.

Having said the above, my best advice is to avoid those three words if you can. I can't think of any context where you would be required to use "state."

If you read a major U.S. newspaper (perhaps the International Herald Tribune if available in your area), you will see that the vast majority of the time, the writer just uses "said."
    So it means that said is more neutral?
    what if I must have to use this 3 words in sentence?
    can you help me with making sentences?
    Thanks a lot.

< Previous | Next >