How to Quickly Lock [Adverb between "to" and verb]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by vasdoc, Sep 13, 2013.

1. vasdoc Member

Russian
    Dear teachers, please explain me correctness of writing the phrase like "How to Quickly Lock Your Computer" . I often see in Internet phrases, where an adverb is inserted between particle "to" and a verb. I can submit many examples: How to Easily Peel Peaches ,Energy bills to clearly state how you're being exploited ,How to Permanently Delete a Facebook Account, How to Really Love Your Child and so on. Is it possible to use adverb between "to" and the verb ? I did not get such a knowledge at school.

2. Procol Senior Member

Bordeaux
    British English
    Hi

Here we go again with split infinitives, there have been many threads about this, but in a word, yes, you can, and these days most writers do, split the infinitive with an adverb.

3. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

California
    English - US
    Hello vasdoc. :)

As Procol says, we call this a split infinitive. Our dictionary's definition of the term says this:
    The traditional rule against placing an adverb between to and its verb is gradually disappearing. Although it is true that a split infinitive may result in a clumsy sentence (he decided to firmly and definitively deal with the problem), this is not enough to justify the absolute condemnation that this practice has attracted. [See the definition for the rest.]

Below the definition are links to several threads discussing specific examples. You will see that people have different opinions about this.

4. vasdoc Member

Russian
    Dear Procol and Cagey! Thank you very much for introducing me to SPLIT INFINITIVE. It is great. I think English language sometimes sounds better namely with split infinitives. Not always, of course.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013