How to response for email introduction

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Memar, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Memar Senior Member

Amharic
    It is great to meet you. We have to prepare a contract to transfer the money to XYZ company. We will submit a statement of work and other documents along with the contract to be approved and signed by you. If you have a template for the statement of work, please send it to me.

How can I response for someone who introduce himself through email for business. It is great to meet you is appropriate in this situation?

Thanks for your time and help.

2. Beryl from Northallerton Senior Member

British English
    So, Memar, just to be clear, have you been sent the following: "It is great to meet you. We have to prepare a contract to transfer the money to XYZ company. We will submit a statement of work and other documents along with the contract to be approved and signed by you. If you have a template for the statement of work, please send it to me. "?

3. Memar Senior Member

Amharic

4. Memar Senior Member

Amharic
    HI Beryl, Thank you for your response. I haven't sent this yet. Waiting for comment.

5. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    If this person sent you an e-mail, and you are replying to that e-mail, the two of you did not meet. You cannot write "great to meet you" or anything else with the verb to meet in it. You can use "great to hear from you," "great to receive your e-mail" or anything else that does not refer to a meeting.

Two other thoughts:

1. Since you heard from, met, etc., this person in the past - even if the recent past - you must use the past tense: "It was great to hear from you," etc.

2. "Great" sounds both too informal and too enthusiastic for what I can tell of the context from the rest of your message.

6. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    This does not sound like any standard business phrasing to me. If there is no obvious standard business phrasing I always revert to "plain English".

I would probably write:

...If you have a preferred format for this please let us know and we will try to work within your preferred format...

Also it is customary, unless you know the customer well, to use the "corporate 'we/us' " rather than "I" or "me". So in any case you would say "please send it to us."