How to say technically 'to touch breast to check disease'?

Camlearner

Khmer
Hi

I want to say a woman or a doctor touches her breast to check whether she has any disease or something bad inside her breast under her breast skin or not... something solid... but I think the verb 'touch' look sexy to me.. Is there a technical word verb this way?

Thanks.

• Copyright

American English
    Here's one approach that avoids touching and feeling: Women can perform a breast self exam to check for any problems.

Camlearner

Khmer
    YESH... Women can perform a breast self exam to check for any problems . Thank you. That not sound any more sexy.. ;)

But honestly, if you don't say it , I never know that exam can be used with verb to perform.. ! Only take.. take exam.. I used to learn. Complex !!

Camlearner

Khmer
    Thank you Rover.. my dictionary say to palpate is to touch part of someone's body in order to examine it. So for example I can say : a doctor is palpating her breasts to find cancer..

Yulan

Italian
    Hello Camlearner :),

I've recently translated a manual applying to a mammography unit and I can confirm that the term normally used was "palpation".

Could "the doctor performs a (routine) breast palpation to find cancer" do?

Camlearner

Khmer
    Hi and Thank you Yulan for your confirmation. Yes I think "the doctor performs a (routine) breast palpation to find cancer" should do.

... so ... to perform breast palpation is the word I need. ;)

quillerbee

Canadian English
    No no no no no. Listen to Copyright. A woman performs a breast self-examination. A doctor performs a breast examination. This is the correct way to say it.

TacoNight

English - USA
    I mostly agree with quillerbee. I looked up the term, and it seems to be a correct usage. However, it is a technical term, and copyright's formulations are how you would see this in practice.

I agree with these versions:
    A woman performs a breast self-examination. A doctor performs a breast examination.

quillerbee

Canadian English
    There's a word for using fancier words than you need: jargon. There is nothing wrong with palpate (as a verb) when we are talking about tumours or lymph nodes, but if Camlearner comes along and talks about "performing a breast palpation", he (or she, I don't know) will get laughed off the stage. Seriously.

Yulan

Italian
    Hello everybody :)

I agree that within a general context "to touch breast to find a possible disease" perfectly corresponds to "to perform a breast examination", but I thought Camlearner was looking for a technical term and I can confirm that a term generally used by physicians is "palpation".

To be really picky, from a medical point of view, "palpation" represents a specific step in breast examination ... literature available on the web suggests, for instance, how to perform a breast self-examination in six steps
    Steps 1-3 involve inspection of the breast with the arms hanging next to the body, behind the head and in the side.
    Step 4 is palpation of the breast.
    Step 5 is palpation of [....]
    Step 6 is palpation of [....]

I think it strongy depends on the extent of "technicalness" that is required.

Hope not to be (too) astray :eek:

quillerbee

Canadian English
    "To perform a breast (self-)examination" is the correct term.

Palpation is a fine word and is certainly corresponds to the touching part, but when we are talking about looking for breast cancer, there is a procedure which also involves other senses such as looking for irregularities in the skin. And this is what people talk about -- the breast examination.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Both examination and palpation are perfectly correct terms, but they're not synonymous. To examine, when we speak of breast examination (whether by a physician or by a woman herself), is to inspect, to investigate. To palpate is to examine by touch. Examination, in this case, involves visual inspection as well as touch. In other words: breast examination includes palpation.

P.S. to Camlearner: School exams are not so far from physical exams as you might think. An examination in school is actually a sort of investigation: it examines the student's knowledge, or progress in studies. Get it?

Camlearner

Khmer
    Ok thank you all for various ideas. So I will say : palpation OR examination. Let's my listeners decide when they listen ;)

Hi Parla, I think I don't think that School exams are so far from physical exams. I only show my surprise that in my nowadays Egnlish class, I only use the verb TAKE with EXAM. Now I learn more that another verb PERFORM is also ok for usage with EXAM. ... But if to say to take exam is to take a test at school but if to say to perform exam, that will mean not to take a test at school.. but to exam or palpate e.g. breasts.. isn't it?

< Previous | Next >