how to speak “that” in a sentence with two clauses

< Previous | Next >

MOJO_JOJO

Korean - Korea
Hello!

When you speak “that” that’s used when making that-clauses, how do you speak it?
I’m not asking about the pronounciation but rather about how to divide a sentence into two.

1. I would tell you that the average American watches five hours of television a day

If you say sentence#1, do you say like “I would tell you that / the average American watches five hours of television a day” or like “I would tell you / that the average American watches five hours of television a day”? or do both sound great?

Another sentence 2. I think that I like you

Or let’s say that I say “I think that I like you” then, would you find more nautural “I think / that I like you” or “I think that / I like you”? or do both sound good?

And I also suppose “that” that adds explanation called relative pronoun that has only one way to be spoken, is that correct?

Let me give you one sentence.

3. In Akron, it means political plays being performed in the bed of a flat bed truck that moves from neighborhood to neighborhood.

that sentence should be spoken “in the bed of a flat bed truck / that moves from neighborhood to neighborhood”, not “in the bed of a flat bed truck that / moves from neighborhood to neighborhood” shouldn’t it?

So more simply, I think there are two kinds of “that”
a. that-cluase that
b. relative pronoun that
And how can I speak that correctly? (sounding more natural)

thank you :)

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    Hi, Mojo.

“I would tell you / that the average American watches five hours of television a day”? or do both sound great?
    They both sound the same to me, but I think about the sentence as you described in your first attempt: I think/that the average American watches five hours of television a day. This explanation is my way of telling you that "I think" is the first part of this sentence. It contains a subject and a verb. "That the average American watches five hours of television a day" is the complement in this sentence. It adds information about what I think.

My thoughts about your other sentences are similar. But I want you to understand clearly that I am not really aware of distinctions in the tone of my voice or my pronunciation as I read aloud or speak a sentence that uses the subordinating conjunction "that".

MOJO_JOJO

Korean - Korea
    Thanks for the answer owlman5!

Let me confirm I’ve gotten the idea right.
    So either I say like “I think that... I like you” or like “I think... that I like you”, it is totally OK sounding the same to you, correct?

owlman5

English-US
    You're welcome. That's right. I don't pause before "that" when I'm talking. I don't do anything special with my pronunciation of "that". You don't need to worry about doing something special with your voice as you speak or read those sentences.

< Previous | Next >