how to thank people on the forum

< Previous | Next >

PureLand

Chinese
Dear forum members,

Will you find it annoying if people thank you for answering their language-related questions by first reacting to your post in the thread with "Thank you" or "Agree" and then quoting your post in the thread appreciating your help again in words? By saying so, I mean you will receive two notifications just being thanked, which can be a little irritating.

Do you prefer to be thanked with a "Thank you" reaction or with a personal thank-you comment, or both? Or what do you think about this issue?

I apologize in advance if you find this question meaningless, but I am sincerely trying to come up with a better way to thank people on the English Only forum. Thank you :)

Last edited:
  • TheCrociato91

Italian - Northern Italy
    Hello.

Will you find it annoying if people thank you for answering their language-related questions by first reacting to your post in the thread with "Thank you" or "Agree" and then quoting your post in the thread appreciating your help again in words? By saying so, I mean you will receive two notifications just being thanked, which can be a little irritating.
    Not at all.

Do you prefer to be thanked with a "Thank you" reaction or with a personal thank-you comment, or both? Or what do you think about this issue?
    Either is fine with me.

I only wished the thank-you button would be available in all forums in order to make the thanking process more agile and subtle.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    I think one of the purposes of introducing the "thank you" reaction was to try and reduce the number of threads that were being bulked out by successive posts thanking each person individually for his/her answer. My personal feeling is that it's a little bit counter-intuitive to 'react' with a thank you and then post one as a message as well, effectively doing the job twice, although other people may disagree with that. As to which of the two people prefer, I suspect you won't get a clear consensus.

A useful feature of the thank you 'reaction', incidentally, is that you can use it to thank other people for their answers, and not just those who've answered your particular question.

I only wished the thank-you button would be available in all forums in order to make the thanking process more agile and subtle.
    Most forums now have them, but there are no plans that I know of to extend them to any of the remaining ones at the moment.

MedFanatic

Armenian
    Dear PureLand,

That's a great question. I also have the same concern every time I want to thank the people for their kind answers. I tend to both use "thank you reaction" and post thank you in the tread. But like you said, sometimes, intending to show my appreciation, I might irritate them. I would also like to know which way is preferable for them. Anyway, it is a good opportunity to thank them all. :)

PureLand

Chinese
    Thank you all for answering my question, TheCrociato91, DonnyB, MedFanatic, Elroy, and Velisarius :D

Oh I just found this, Velisarius :p

1597993111308.png

< Previous | Next >