How to use in pursuit of

< Previous | Next >

JustGod

Ukrainian
I am not sure how to use in pursuit of

An example:
I can make hundreds steps toward, but none in pursuit of.

Yes, it is about a girl, but I want to it to be more abstract, should I put something after of?

• Copyright

American English
    It's hard to be more abstract than that ... I hardly know what you want to say. You will need to tell us what you mean before we can begin to help you.

heypresto

English - England
    We would use the expression in something like 'The policeman was running in pursuit of the thief who had stolen Mr Smith's pig', or 'They were in pursuit of the sheep that had escaped'. It means hunting or chasing.

The example you give doesn't make sense, I'm afraid. I can't see what you are trying to say.

Cross-posted.

rhitagawr

British English
    In pursuit of the thief is fine. You can also use the expression figuratively: He would stop at nothing in pursuit of his goals. You may also come across the phrase in hot pursuit. I understand this was originally a naval term: the pursuing ship didn't have to bother which country's territorial waters it was in. The phrase is now used more generally.
    You can use in pursuit without the of: The enemy submarine left port and the destroyers set off in hot pursuit.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >