How to use' to and fro'?

michaelwong

Chinese
Dear all,

Which of the following is correct?

(1) Shuttle bus services to and fro the airport and major hotels in the city.

(2) Shuttle bus services to and fro from the airport to major hotels in the city

Please advise. Thank you.

Regards,
Michael

• Mahantongo

English (U.S.)
    Neither is correct. You would say Shuttle bus services run between the airport and major hotels in the city.

Mahantongo

English (U.S.)
    as in sentence 2, which I don't find wrong.
    You don't find the combination "fro from" (as in to and fro from the airport...), or the use of "to and fro" to describe a one way journey (from the airport to the major hotels) to be wrong? I do.

michaelwong

Chinese
    Thanks a lot!

If 'to and fro' and 'back and forth' are the same.
    Does it mean that I can say 'to and fro between the airport and major hotels in the city'.

Thanks.

e2efour

UK English
    Rather than use to and fro I would would probably say "shuttle services to and from the airport and major hotels." or "services between the airport and major hotels."
    I see no objection to to and fro between A and B. Between does sound preferable to from, but I'm not sure that the latter is wrong. Does it really imply one direction only?

Mahantongo

English (U.S.)
    The description "from the airport to the hotels" (which is what the sentence said) certainly implies one direction only.

e2efour

UK English
    But the original sentence contained to and fro, which is surely extra information. It is more than saying that there is a shuttle service from the airport to the hotels, although it may not be the best way of expressing the idea.

By the way, I forgot to welcome michaelwong to the forum!

Myridon

English - US
    For me, "to and fro" is an old-fashioned way of saying something like every-which-way, hither and thither, etc. The butterflies flit to and fro in the garden. They are not going back and forth between two destinations. I would think:
    "Shuttle bus services to and fro between the airport and major hotels in the city."
    means that the buses move randomly throughout that entire area.

kool-wind

British English
    'To and fro' is adverbial, not adjectival.

The shuttle bus service isn't to and fro, it's the bus that shuttles to and fro.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    (1) Shuttle bus services to and fro the airport and major hotels in the city.

(2) Shuttle bus services to and fro from the airport to major hotels in the city
    As Mahantongo pointed out in post 2, if these are meant to be sentences they need verbs. Run is probably the most commonly used in English.

Loob

English UK
    I agree with Myridon: "to and fro" has, to me, overtones of random movement.

Michaelwong's (1) would work if "fro" was replaced by "from":
    (1) Shuttle bus services to and from the airport and major hotels in the city.
    .... though, as others have said, this is not a complete sentence.

Welcome to the forums from me too, michaelwong:).

Biffo

English - England
    (a) I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned that "fro" means "from". That is why you can't say "to and fro from..."

(b) A shuttle bus, by its very nature, moves /to and fro/back and forth/. That is the definition of shuttle.

My suggestions

Shuttle buses service the airport and major hotels in the city. ["to service" is a verb]

or

Shuttle buses run between the airport and major hotels in the city.

______________________________________________________________________________

If you want to use the term "to and fro" then you need to use the preposition "between" or possibly "among".

Last edited:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I cannot see that either of the OP's examples are correct, nor can they be saved whilst they have "to and fro" in them: I would say "Shuttle buses services run back and forth between the airport to and the major hotels in the city."

wandle

English - British
    The phrase 'to and fro' is typically used on its own: that is, not specified further by other indications of place.
    For example:

There was an old bear at the zoo who always had something to do.
    For an hour or so he would walk to and fro and then he would walk fro and to.

(Please bear in mind that 'fro and to' is not a set phrase like 'to and fro', just a facetious variant of it.)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >