How to write tanwiin aD-Damm تنوين الضم and waSla وصلة

< Previous | Next >

Anatoli

Native: русский (Russian), home country: English
ٌHi,

I was wondering if you could explain how to draw the Dammatan symbol, please? Do you separate your hand to draw the final tail?

مِفْتَحٌ
I found descriptions for individual letters, other diacritics are simple but this one is supposed to be 2 و's but it doesn't look to me. :confused:

Another is waSl - is it a little Sad letter?
ٱ

• elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    The symbol you are asking about is not a Damma; it is a tanwiin aD-Damm.

The Damma is just one little و.

There are two ways to write the tanwiin aD-Daam. You can either write two little و's, or you can write a و with a tail, as in the example you have given. You do not lift up your pen; the whole point of writing it this way is to save time.

The waSla kind of looks like a little ص but you don't have to write a whole ص. You draw the loop and extend the lower line just a teeny weeny bit to the left and curve it downward. Just draw what you see in the example you've given. :)

Anatoli

Thanks, Elias. :) In my first post I used the name Dammataan (two Dammas), not Damma for tanwiin aD-Damm. One of the tool I use uses this terminology.

For waSla I meant the hand-written ص, which is what you desribed.

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English, Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Ah, you used only one "a" so I thought you were saying "Damma" in the accusative. :)

Yes, I've heard that some people are taught the term "Dammataan," but to me it sounds ridiculous, almost childishly literal. :D It's always been "tanwiin aD-Damm" to me.

Anatoli

Well, yes, we should use the accusative in this case - to draw + a direct object. Only English doesn't have the case endings :D

I'll make sure to double the vowel to make it long (except for the final "a", perhaps).

< Previous | Next >