How were your last days, Alice?

< Previous | Next >

wolfbm1

Polish
Hello.

It is Sunday, the last day of the week.

Jennifer: How was your week, Alice?
Alice: Well, it was very busy. Mark and I moved to our new house on Monday.

It is a Thursday of another week now. Jennifer would like to ask Alice about her last few days. Can she ask:

Jennifer: How were your last days, Alice?
Alice: They were pretty stressful. I had two tests on Monday and Tuesday and yesterday somebody stole my phone.

I am not sure if the question "How were your last days, Alice?" is idiomatic.

Thank you.

• exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    "How did the last few days go [for you], Alice?" or "how did things go the past few days?".

"How were your last days, Alice?" sounds like something to ask Alice just before she gets executed.

wolfbm1

Polish
    Thank you.
    I guess on a Thursday evening one could use the Present Perfect and say:
    "How have your last few days gone for you, Alice?"
    The answer could be: "They've been quite busy. I'm moving my house."

exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    "The last few days" is OK. The last few days are the same days for everybody. "Your last few days", the days that are the last ones unique to you, are the days just before you die.

wolfbm1

Polish
    "The last few days" is OK. The last few days are the same days for everybody. "Your last few days", the days that are the last ones unique to you, are the days just before you die.
    So the expression "your last few days" sounds like "your final days (of life)."
    Thank you, exgerman. :)

What about:

How did the last week go?
    How did the last night go?
    How was your last week?
    How was your last night?

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    All of them sound pretty "terminal", wolf - unless the context makes clear that you're asking about "the last week of your holiday" or something similar.

wolfbm1

Polish
    All of them sound pretty "terminal", wolf - unless the context makes clear that you're asking about "the last week of your holiday" or something similar.
    Thanks, Loob. I mean a situation when a few friends meet for a coffee and ask about their past days.
    In my language it is OK to use "last days" but then we mean not "your final days" but "the last days for you." And we also use a different verb, e.g. pass, go by. Does the latter expression sound terminal in English?

Loob

English UK
    I think your best option is to stick with exgerman's suggestion of "the last few days", wolf - definite article rather than possessive, and "last few" rather than "last". I don't think the verb you choose matters so much:).

< Previous | Next >