How/What about you?

< Previous | Next >

Saurabh

English-British, Hindi
Hello Freinds :)

Please help me in knowing the correct use in the below kind of conversations :

1) My Canadian Friend : Hello Sau, How are you?
Me : Hi Daniel, I'm pretty good, thanks.
Me : What/How about you?

2) My Canadian Friend : Hello Sau, How it's going?
Me : Hello Daniel, going all well, thanks.
Me : What/How about you?
Please tell me what should I be using in such kinda sentences : What or How?

PS: Can you please tell me the difference between them ? I have noticed them being used so often but have been unable to find out the difference.

Cheers,
Sau

Last edited:
  • EStjarn

Spanish
    Can you please tell me the difference between them ?
    The Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary definition of 'what about ?' states that this collocation is
    used to suggest something: What about Lola - shall we invite her? What about taking a few days off?
    In other words, 'What about you?' seems to be a short form for 'What about you - are you fine/pretty good/doing well too?'

The dictionary definition of 'how about ?' is practically identical, except that the collocation is described as informal:
    INFORMAL used to make a suggestion: How about the cinema tonight? How about going to the cinema?

Saurabh

English-British, Hindi
    The Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary definition of 'what about ?' states that this collocation is
    used to suggest something: What about Lola - shall we invite her? What about taking a few days off?
    In other words, 'What about you?' seems to be a short form for 'What about you - are you fine/pretty good/doing well too?'

The dictionary definition of 'how about ?' is practically identical, except that the collocation is described as informal:
    INFORMAL used to make a suggestion: How about the cinema tonight? How about going to the cinema?

Thank you, EStjarn :)

Moggie

italiano
    <<Moggie - I've added your thread to this one -the only one which suggests a possible difference.
    JulianStuart, Moderator>>

Hello,

Situation: My friend asks me "How are you doing ?" and I reply "Very well, thank you. How/what about you ?"
    I never could manage to figure out if there is a real difference between the two expressions.
    Oneof the two is less formal, more natural, less common among natives, more BrE, mostly AmE, ect ?
    Can you help me solve my excruciating dilemma, please ? :)
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moggie

italiano
    Ops, I'm sorry. I made a search but I missed this thread.
    Thank you very much for redirect me here. Shall be more careful next time before opening a new thread :)
    Anyway, my dilemma is finally solved now. Thanks.

shop-englishx

Banned
    Urdu
    <Threads have been merged at this point by moderator (Florentia52)>

Hello My Dear Friends,

I: Hello, J.
    J: Hello, I.
    I: How are you?
    J: I'm fine. What/how about you?

Please let me know which one you would use? What about you? Or How about you?

Thanking you.

Last edited by a moderator:

shop-englishx

Banned
    Urdu
    I wouldn't use either. I'd say 'Fine, thanks. And you?'

But if you forced me at gunpoint to choose one of your options, I'd go for 'How'.
    Thank you sir jee,
    Do you mean a native speaker would never say "How about you?" or "What about you?" in this situation? I have heard several non-native speakers in my country use "What about you?" in this situation. Do you mean they all are wrong?

shop-englishx

Banned
    Urdu
    I don't think they are wrong, but to me, 'How about you?' sounds more natural. And ' . . . and you?' sounds even more natural.
    Sir, the question is not whether they are grammatically correct or not. The question is whether you've really heard them used by native speakers of British English and which of them is more common.
    Can you please clarify?

heypresto

English - England
    I wasn't commenting on the grammar, I was commenting on the naturalness of them. I don't know if I've heard either of them, but amongst those who might say them, and I had to make a guess, I'd say 'How about you?' would probably be more common.

I appreciate the politeness, but there's no need to call me 'sir'. :)

< Previous | Next >