How would you describe the way a freelancer journalist work?

< Previous | Next >

Egoexpress

Hungary, Hungarian
Hi there,

How would you describe the way a freelancer journalist work? Sometimes he works sometimes he doesn't.
Hope it's enough.

Thanks!

• Melz0r

English, England
    Firstly, I'd say a "freelance" journalist.

The fact that he works sometimes and doesn't work other times is partially conveyed in the word "freelance". What kind of sentence do you want to put this word in?

Lis48

English - British
    Someone who sells his services without committing himself to any one employer? Did you know that the name comes from "free lance", a mercenary warrior willing to use his lance for whichever side of the battle that would pay him?

Melz0r

English, England
    "He works now and then" would, to me, have a slightly negative connotation - it would imply that he does little work and only works when he feels like it. I'm struggling to think of anything better, though! Like I said, the fact that the journalist is freelance implies that he or she can work when he or she chooses to.

El escoces

English - UK
    A freelance journalist sells his stories to anyone who wants to buy them, rather than reporting exclusively to one newspaper (or magazine, news channel etc). You could use independent or non-excñusive.

gasman

Canada, English
    As a small point, the title should be Re: How would you describe the way a freelance journalist works

JamesM

the fact that the journalist is freelance implies that he or she can work when he or she chooses to.

"...whenever he feels like it."
    I'm not quite sure about that. :) If he is a very successful journalist who is in demand, this would be true. He may be a struggling freelance journalist, though, in which case he may feel like working far more often than the work he can secure allows him to work.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    There are two issues being confused here.

First, a freelance anything may work intermittently, or may have a backlog of demand and work steadily. This is a function of market demand.

The second matter is how often a freelance journalist/musician/graphic artist may choose to work. This is the supply side of the market equation.

I suggest you ignore the second point, and focus on the intermittent nature of the work.

Cases:
    1. Unlimited supply by freelancer, limited market demand. Work is intermittent.
    2. Limited supply by freelancer, overwhelming market demand. Work is intermittent.
    3. Unlimited supply by freelancer, overwhelming or steady market demand. Work is steady.
    4. Limited supply by freelancer, overwhelming or steady market demand. Work is intermittent.

< Previous | Next >