How you could eat that much so early?

< Previous | Next >

youngbuts

korean
Hi~

When I was preparing for a test, I have got the following drill question. Would you take a look at it?

(a) A : What did you have for breakfast this morning?
(b) B : I had kimchi, bulgogi and a bowl of rice.
(c) A : How you could eat that much so early?
(d) B : Why not? I have a huge appetite.

I don't have the answer key. I'm just guessing (C) could have a wrong part in itself. But that's not because I know what exactly is wrong in (C), but because in the others I can not find any wrong part. Based on my googled results, 'how you could eat that much?' was a possible sentence. So, If (C) were wrong, I am guessing it were 'so early' that could be a wrong part. But... what is wrong with the phrase? I'm confused... Please guide me.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
  • youngbuts

korean
    The drill asked me to find out a sentence containing a wrong part in itself among the four options given.
    I would like to know if 'so early' is wrong and what native speakers say in that situation, if it is wrong.

Copyright

American English
    Answer C is the problem, but it's the order of you/could. Rather than "How you could," it should be "How could you." As for so/that, it can be either way and still be correct:

"How could you eat that much so early?"
    "How could you eat so much that early?"

Beryl from Northallerton

British English
    I agree with Copyright. The word order in C is ungrammatical as it fails to deliver the inversion that is expected in a question.

There's nothing wrong with this use of 'so early' that wouldn't simply be a critique of style. You might say, eg. "How could you eat so much so early?" or "How could you eat that much that early?"

Myridon

English - US
    Personally, I find "Why not?" a rather odd answer to "How could you?" :) If it weren't for the obvious mistake in C), I'd think D) would be the answer.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    Personally, I find "Why not?" a rather odd answer to "How could you?" :) If it weren't for the obvious mistake in C), I'd think D) would be the answer.
    I see nothing wrong with that answer - in fact, I would use it myself in that situation. What don't you like about it?

< Previous | Next >