How you feel or How do you feel

Discussion in 'English Only' started by resoluteman, Sep 12, 2017.

1. resoluteman

resoluteman Senior Member

Azerbaijan
    When we ask about the predicate of the sentence we use auxiliary "do" followig WH words in the questions if there's no any other helping auxiliary verb. Sometimes, however, mostly in written papers, i could see people not using do in these wh question like - How you/people feel about.. ? - is that acceptable, norm?

2. The Newt

The Newt Senior Member

USA / EEUU
    English - US
    As a question, only "How do you feel?" is correct in standard English. "How you feel?" is a common colloquialism.

3. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Cheshire
    English / England
    It is not the norm, but it might be the correct way to say it in a SPECIFIC sentence, especially if the sentence is not really a question

e.g.
    How do you feel about Brexit? That's the norm for a question and "do" is essential to the question structure.
    How you feel about Brexit depends on your point of view. A perfectly standard expression, but not a question.

4. resoluteman

Azerbaijan
    let's put a few words at the begining - Can you tell me how people feel about ...? - should 'do' still be used ?

5. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Cheshire
    English / England
    No.

This is a question, but not about "how do you feel" it is a question based on someone's ability to tell you something.

6. The Newt

The Newt Senior Member

USA / EEUU
    English - US
    Not in general. "Can you tell me how people feel...?" is the usual question. "Can you tell me how people do feel...?" could be used in certain limited situations, but not "Can you tell me how do people...?"

7. resoluteman

Azerbaijan
    can you open it up a bit please? cause I can't quite conceive this

8. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)
    The question is "Can you tell me X?" X is "how people feel."

9. dojibear Senior Member

Fresno CA
    English - America
    "How you feel?" is used in some dialects and slangs. Most AE speakers never say it.

10. The Newt

The Newt Senior Member

USA / EEUU
    English - US
    I'm sure I "say" it occasionally — but I think the truth is that many of us occasionally say something that sounds identical to "How you feel?," but really is "How do you feel?" with an inaudible "do." That is, if I were to write it down I would write it as "How do you feel?" It's very easy for non-native speakers to pick up on what their ears actually hear and assume it's a "correct" form.