Howdy and a half

< Previous | Next >

Veera

India-Tamil & Telugu
Hi,

The below context is excerpted from the source: http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/howdy+and+a+half
Howdy and a half

Can I say “Man 1: How far away from here to your hometown?
Man 2: It’s just Howdy and a half (or) it’s just a few minutes walk.

I just rephrased it and posted it here. I found this idiom in the freedictionary and its bit strange to me.
I didn’t find anywhere in the “in context” link also. Is it an old idiom? Can I use this in daily conversations? I think that the second one -a few minutes walk sounds better for me. But I would like to get suggestions from native speakers.

Thanks in advance.

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I've never heard this expression before, but you could probably use it in those circumstances where you'd use "howdy". For an English person, this means nobody except cowboys.

Veera

India-Tamil & Telugu
    Thanks Keith. Is it an unusual word here? But to make it more clear, I am waiting for AE & BE Speaker's comments.
    Could anyone please explain it?

Last edited:

Destruida

English (England)
    "Howdy," is a form of greeting, presumably shortened from How d'ye do, that's used among certain groups in the USA (many country folk, not only cowboys!)

The expression a howdy-and-a-half is a way of saying a short distance, in other words as long as it would take to say Howdy one-and-a-half times.
    There are many equivalent or similar expressions to mean not much, not long, not far in the few languages I know; probably there are in yours, too.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    "Howdy" is a well-known form of greeting in some areas of the US, but I've never heard this expression. I rather like it, though. I would take it to mean, as Destruida suggests (post #4), a very short distance—not quite as short as actually saying "howdy" a time and a half, but about as long to walk as it would take to greet someone and have some brief conversation.

< Previous | Next >