However it now looks a real possibility that my prediction for him to return to the major winners' enclosure came just one tournament too soon.

Curiosity777

Korean
Is this sentence correctly and grammatically written?

However it now looks a real possibility that my prediction for him to return to the major winners' enclosure came just one tournament too soon.
I came across this sentence in this link. (European Championship Darts: Sunday predictions, odds, betting tips, order of play & TV times)

What is the subject of "came" ???? And Is it possible a noun phrase can be a subject complement after the verb "came"?

This is the simplified version of the sentence and the way I look at it.

This way, the sentence doesn't seem to make much sense, because it sounds like "my prediction" became "one tournament".

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Your simplification is correct but you seem to be confusing “came” and “became”.
    His prediction came (=was made) one tournament too soon.
    He apparently predicted that the player would do well in the previous tournament, but this didn’t happen. Now it looks as if he may do well in the current tournament- his prediction was therefore not completely wrong, just too early (by one tournament).

Curiosity777

Korean
    Your simplification is correct but you seem to be confusing “came” and “became”.
    His prediction came (=was made) one tournament too soon.
    He apparently predicted that the player would do well in the previous tournament, but this didn’t happen. Now it looks as if he may do well in the current tournament- his prediction was therefore not completely wrong, just too early (by one tournament).
    You saying "one tournament" is used as an adverb phrase modifying "came" in the same way as "three days" as in "the mail came three days late" ?

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    The adverb phrase is “one tournament too soon,” not just “one tournament.” Same with your other example: the adverb phrase is “three days late,” not just “three days.”

Linkway

British English
    "...my prediction for him to return..."

I think that's rather odd, and this might be better:

"...my prediction of his return..."

< Previous | Next >