However, Lawrence and Lorsch argued that,

< Previous | Next >

faza62

Farsi, Iran
Hi

Context: The term differentiation, as used by Lawrence and Lorsch, closely parallels our definition of horizontal differentiation. However, Lawrence and Lorsch argued that, in addition to job specification...
Organisation Theory:Concepts and Cases By Stephen P. Robbins/Neil Barnwell, page 262.

My question roots in the punctuation of this part "However, Lawrence and Lorsch argued that, in..." Why a comma after that? why not However, Lawrence and Lorsch argued that in addition....? Does the comma after that indicate that the contrast is especially made by Lawrence and Lorsh, or by the writers of the present book? Can this be paraphrased as Lawrence and Lorsch argued that notwithstanding this, in addition to....? I think punctuation indicates this paraphrase, but logic rejects it.

Am I clear?

Thanks

• Uncle Jack

British English
    You need to quote a little bit more. Please do not truncate sentences part way through. It reads to me that "in addition to job specification" is a parenthetic phrase, placed between commas.

faza62

Farsi, Iran
    The term differentiation, as used by Lawrence and Lorsch, closely parallels our definition of horizontal differentiation. However, Lawrence and Lorsch argued that, in addition to job specification, managers in various departments can be expected to have different attitudes and behave differently in terms of their goal perspective, time frame and interpersonal orientation.

< Previous | Next >