however pained and hopeless

< Previous | Next >

Ashley Qin

Chinese
Hello English speakers,
Don’t forget God always loves you, however painful and hopeless the betrayal is.
Is the sentence above correct and natural? I want to express that, no matter how pained and hopeless you are after being betrayed, don't forget God always loves you.
I need the sentence to be as short as possible, because there is character limit.
Thanks.

• heypresto

English - England
    It will only make sense if 'the betrayal' has been mentioned before. Without knowing this, it won't make much sense to the reader.

And I think it would sound better with 'no matter' rather than 'however'.

Ashley Qin

Chinese
    The betrayal here is referring to being cheated on by the husband or wife (having an affair) and it has been mentioned before the sentence.

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    I think “hopeless” doesn’t work here. It is not the betrayal that is hopeless but the person who suffered the betrayal. I would phrase this as either:

1. No matter how painful the betrayal, God loves you

which is the shortest option, or

2. No matter how painful the betrayal, or how hopeless you feel, God loves you

I think the “God loves you” or “God always loves you” is better at the end, because I initially read these sentences as that God had been betrayed, not the person.

< Previous | Next >