How's the weather with/for you there?

A_big_reader

Russian
Hello everyone!

I know that I can say: "How's the weather where you are?" But if I had to choose between these two prepositions, which of them should I use?

And what about the phrase "how are things with you/for you?"

• Chasint

English - England
    How's the weather for you?

This assumes that the person needs a particular type of weather. It may be different from what another person wants.

Example

Friend: How's the weather for you?

Ski
    enthusiast: It's looking good, we expect to get snow overnight.

Note: There is a common saying, Lovely Weather for Ducks. This might be said when people meet out of doors during a rainstorm. For the humans, the weather is unpleasant. The implication is that ducks would enjoy the rain.

A_big_reader

Russian
    I see. Many thanks!
    I'm sorry, and if I want to find out what the weather is like outside where a person lives, can I say "how's the weather with you there?"

dojibear

AE (US English)
    "How's the weather where you are?" :tick:
    This means "describe the weather where you are". It doesn't ask what weather the person prefers.

how's the weather with you there? :cross:
    There is no "weather with me". I get the same weather that everyone else here gets.
    How's the weather there? :tick:

how are things with you/for you?
    I would just say "How are things?" The bold phrases don't add any meaning. I am speaking to Charlie. If I ask "How are things?" I am asking about Charlie, not about Rosa.

analeeh

English - UK
    'How are things with you' is a very natural, very common phrasing.

'How's the weather been for you' or 'how's the weather at the moment for you' also sound natural, but might be taken as asking for an opinion. 'How's the weather over there' is probably how we would say it.

You little ripper!

Australian English
    How's the weather with you there? suggests that the person you are asking has an influence on the weather simply by his presence there. If he wasn't there, the weather might somehow be different.

These all work for me:

How's the weather with you?
    How's the weather there?
    How's the weather where you are?