Huelum, huelum, Gloria! (grito)

gurseal

English - USA
Cheering words known by fans of the Instituto Politecnico (IPN) in Mexico. City, I think.
Huelum, huelum, Gloria!
The cheer continues with "a la cachi cachi porra, porra. A la cachi cachi porra, porra..."

And I have no clue what the words mean. Is there anyone out there who will shed light on what this means, to a non-Mexican?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • aldonzalorenzo

Spanish
    Cheering words known by fans of the Instituto Politecnico (IPN) in Mexico. City, I think.
    Huelum, huelum, Gloria!
    The cheer continues with "a la cachi cachi porra, porra. A la cachi cachi porra, porra..."

And I have no clue what the words mean. Is there anyone out there who will shed light on what this means, to a non-Mexican?

Thanks.
    It would be interesting to know the meaning (if it has one).
    I`ve no idea about this "Huelum, huelum", pero inventando mucho, quizá puede ser algo como "Huele a gloria", o "Olemos la gloria", como diciendo que la victoria está llegando...
    Una cachiporra es un palo con el que se dan golpes. También debe servir para los "cheerleaders". El DRAE lo define:
    1. f. Palo enterizo que termina en una bola o cabeza abultada.

2. f. Ec. Bastón adornado con cintas que porta el tambor mayor.

That´s all I can say. Hope some mexican helps!

It's been a while since this post came out and finally I'm going to shed some light on this thread even thought I'm a Unam student and not from IPN.

In 1937 Víctor Chambón Burgoa, a member of the first IPN footbal team, was making some college chants with some members of the IPN cheering club. Now, the yelling to gather up the students in that time was "huelga-huelga" ( strike strike) so based on that he created the word "huelum". From "huelga" to"huelum".
    The resulting chant is the following:
    ¡Huélum…!, ¡Huélum…!
    ¡Gloria !,
    ¡a la cachi cachi porra,
    a la cachi cachi porra!
    ¡pin pon porra!,
    ¡pin pon porra! ,
    ¡Politécnico!, ¡Politécnico!
    ¡Gloria!

MackloCoatzin

Spanish-Mexico
    Hi. I think this is a little bit late, but I think you deserve a better explanation about Huelum.
    Huelum, Huelum, Gloria!
    A la cachi cachiporra, a la cachi cachiporra,
    pin pon porra, pin pon porra,
    Politecnico, Politecnico. Gloria!
    I am graduated from IPN and your definition is really far from reality.
    Huelum is a word derived from "Huelga" (Strike) IPN students is 50's thought it sounded great.
    You are right in one thing: cachiporra is a stick used by police officers in 50's. When the Huelum was created, a student stated that "studyind in IPN is as great and convincing as being hit by a cachiporra."
    In general words, this cheer or better said battle-cry, states that IPN is like heaven and we all are proud of be a small part of it.
    Thank you for your atention.

cubaMania

I don't know which came first, the school cheer, or the mambo by Cuban bandleader Pérez Prado.
    YouTube has various examples of "Mambo del Politécnico" and this is from Wikipedia:
    Pérez Prado fue reconocido también por ser el autor del Mambo del Politécnico (usado comúnmente en eventos y celebraciones importantes del Instituto Politécnico Nacional de la Ciudad de México) y el Mambo Universitario (usado comúnmente en eventos y celebraciones importantes de la Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México).

< Previous | Next >