Hug or lift?

< Previous | Next >

sldxhy

Mandarin
Hello! I wonder if there is any expression to say the way how a prince lifts a princess up.
Like the bear hug we could use, is there any exact word for that? Thanks a lot.

• owlman5

English-US
    What do you mean by "how a prince lifts a princess up"? A prince could lift a princess up in a variety of ways. I'd probably just say that he lifted her up.

If you say that he gave the princess a hug or a bear hug, your listener won't understand that he lifted her up so that her feet left the ground.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    It's essentially two different actions.

I might say "He lifts her up in an embrace."

And I feel I'm writing for Disney.

EDIT: Cross-posted with owlman.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    When someone suddenly lifts someone else in an fit of enthusiasm we may say that he "swept her off her feet." A prince may do that when he rides up to the castle and sees the princess he has been thinking about.

I wonder whether that is what you mean. We also use the phrase metaphorically, when a man, for instance, is very generous and attentive to a woman, so that she is becomes very attached to him and doesn't think of anyone or anything else.

Added: Two threads on this expression.
    swept off my feet
    swept off her feet

Last edited:

perpend

Banned
    American English
    "swept him/her off his/her feet" is only figurative in meaning, for me, and it means "left her/him swooning".

sldxhy

Mandarin
    Thank you very much for all the answers above. I didn't make it clear.公主抱.jpg This picture is what I mean. I don't know why I said it's like a prince lifts a princess up. Maybe I have seen too many Disney animations. :confused:

Biffo

English - England
    "swept him/her off his/her feet" is only figurative in meaning, for me, and it means "left her/him swooning".
    For me it can be lteral or figurative according to the context.

E.g.

The prince rode up on his fiery charger and, leaning down, he swept the princess off her feet. Then, gathering her into his arms, he galloped away.

< Previous | Next >