hug the road

Sirod

German - Deutsch
Hello there!

"He’s responsible for a report, preparing a draft law aimed at steering the EU’s auto industry into the future. CARS 21 (an industry initiative) looks at new ways to hug the road and keep abreast of the competition."

What exactly is meant by hug the road in this sentence? Perhaps road corresponds to something like “pathway of success”. Or is it something like that sample sentence I’ve found in Cambridge Dictionary:

This type of car will hug (= not slide on) the road, even in the wettest conditions.

Any suggestions are appreaciated!

• sdgraham

USA English
    "Exactly" is a difficult or impossible request to fulfill when somebody introduces a little-used or original metaphor.

The writer here is obviously trying to be cute (not particularly successfully, in my opinion) by using automotive metaphors such as "steering" and one can only speculate at the author's intent - especially since we have no idea what CARS21 might specify.

Think of an auto race or rally with twisting curves. Cars that "hug the road" have good handling qualities and "hug the road" in that they maintain the course desired without adverse handling or traction qualities.

Presumably the writer is trying to relate that somehow to whatever CARS 21 might be.

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    I agree that the phrase is probably not meant literally, i.e., that CARS21 is not seeking new engineering solutions to the problem of preventing vehicles from skidding when making high-speed turns, by using wider tires or lower centers of gravity.

It might have something to do with responding quickly to changes in the industry. Since a car that can "hug the road" can take turns at higher speeds than one that does not "hug the road," they are probably trying to "change direction [of their marketing or engineering] quickly" in response to changes in consumer preferences or advances by American and Asian automobile manufacturers (which they would find out about by "keeping abreast of the competition").

pops91710

English, AE
    The writer here is obviously trying to be cute (not particularly successfully, in my opinion) by using automotive metaphors such as "steering" and one can only speculate at the author's intent - especially since we have no idea what CARS21 might specify.
    This style of writing and reporting has taken root throughout the media. Usually, they are 'groaners' and seen/heard all to often on the six o'clock news from the (robotic) talking heads.

I am sure it was a metaphor for the way CAR 21 intends to handle their future business.

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >