huge/enormous

learning_grenglish

India
His last three films have all been huge successes.

Can I replace the adjective "huge" with the adjective "enormous" in this sentence?

I think, I can because "enormous" also has the same meaning as "extremely large".

Could you help me on this?

• cyberpedant

English USA, Northeast, NYC
    " Can I replace the adjective "huge" with the adjective "enormous" in this sentence?"

Most certainly, although "a huge success" is the more usual way of putting it.

Trisia

Romanian
    I don't know, I've never thought of using it like this.

Usually, you will hear:

It was a success.
    It was a big success.
    It was a huge success.
    Their success was enormous/huge/great.

Success is not an object, therefore it has no spatial dimensions. We use some expressions to show just how successful something is, but I'm afraid they're more or less fixed.
    (For example, in Romanian it would be strange to say "big success". We say "much success" :eek::D)

Maybe somebody else has a different idea.

happy-too

American English
    In my humble opinion, yes. You could use "enormous" in place of "huge." But I must agree with Cyberpedant that the use of "huge" is a bit more common.

And on a sidenote, the online version of the Merriam-Webster Dictionary has an entry for the word "ginormous"...a combination of "gigantic" and "enormous"....funny eh?

Matching Mole

England, English
    Enormous success is fine. These general size words are not limited to describing material things, they also apply to degree as well as dimension and are therefore appropriate for abstractions.

happy-too

American English
    Eloquently stated, Mole. :)

Come to think of it...since you're referring to films...you DO hear the expression "enormous success" quite a bit in Hollywood-type articles and reports these days.

< Previous | Next >