human fur and lukewarm on stuff

meral

TURKISH-TURKIYE

Dear friends, Hi!

I'm in trouble with the bolded parts of the passage, because I could not get what it refers. Please explain me, is "human fur", or "head fur" different saying of hair or not? And if "the stuff" there means gadget?

"...And the playful breezes of fashion certainly play a part. Human fur is especially susceptible to whimsy, and it accounts for some of the weirdest modifications ever made to the human animal. Ancient Egyptians were lukewarm on the stuff, and many who could afford to shaved off every strand, replacing it with wigs.

Thanks

• dermott

B.E. via Australian English
    Yes. In the context, "human fur" (or "head fur") means hair. It's an unusual way of referring to hair, though.

"The stuff" refers back to "human fur" (or hair). The sentence could read: "Ancient Egyptians were lukewarm on human fur, and many who could afford to ... ".

Salvage

USA English
    The quotation is stylized writing and trying for a light, humorous effect. I understand "human fur" to be the hair on a human's head. "The stuff" could be either the head hair itself, or the practice of modifying it, but probably the hair itself. Given the shaving "off every strand" and "wigs", I take the second sentence to mean that the Egyptians were not interested in the effects of hair fashion.

Last edited:

Lone Ranger

Mexican Spanish
    Human Fur is refering to the human hair in these case the hair in the head.
    The stuff is the thing or the matter

< Previous | Next >