human of humane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KYC

Mandarin
Hello, there:
I heard one sentence on the radio, but I am not very clear which term she was talking. She talked about someone got admission to a good school.
Also, I don't have context.
1. She is human.
2. She is humane.

I am wondering which is idiomatic.
Thanks for your confirmation.

• LovePeaceHappiness

English - USA
    Hello, there:
    I heard one sentence on the radio, but I am not very clear unclear on which term she was talking using. She talked about someone who got admission was admitted to a good school.
    Also, I don't have context.
    1. She is human.
    2. She is humane.

I am wondering which is idiomatic.
    Thanks for your confirmation.
    Unfortunately, there is not really enough information to decide which term she was using. Are you sure it was either of them and not something else? Chances are, she said humane rather than human. There would be little reason to state that she is human because that is obvious. Unless she was saying that she is still human and she makes mistakes? However, humane does not make much sense either, because being humane doesn't necessarily get you into a good school...
    Do you have any more information about what you heard?

Doc J

U. S. English
    Hello KYC,
    Both are idiomatic and correct but mean different things. The first means that she has human qualities and belongs to the human race. The second means that she has deep feelings about issues facing humans, suggesting that she treats people kindly and "humanely." Humane means kind and benevolent.Hope that this helps.

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Moderator note:

Without any context it is impossible to know which word you heard. Either could be idiomatic; either could be ridiculous.

If you remember some of the context, please contact an English Only moderator and request that the thread be reopened.

Thank you.

Nunty

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >