humorous vs comic?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by chobalsim, Nov 22, 2006.

1. chobalsim Senior Member

Korea, Korean
    What's the difference between a humorous story and a comic story?

2. evilregis Senior Member

English, Canada
    The correct term would be a 'comical story', and they're pretty much the same thing.

3. JamesM

JamesM Senior Member

I agree that comical and humorous are pretty much synonymous, but I think you can have both "comic" and "comical". A comic play and a tragic play are actually two archetypes of drama. A comic play may not necessarily be comical/humorous, but it follows a certain formula.

To me, the difference is a point of view. A comic love story may be intended to be humorous, but I may not personally find it humorous. In other words, it may be intended to get a laugh but doesn't get one from me. :)

If someone says "a humorous love story", I assume they found it funny. If they say, "a comic love story", I know what the intentions of the playwright were but not the opinion of the person speaking.

4. anadanach

anadanach Member

Argentina
    Argentina - Spanish / English
    That was a wonderful explanation, thank you!

I had to translate 'comercial humorístico', I went with 'humorous commercial', since the idea was to sell the comercial itself. In a more impartial type of writing, then I would've chosen 'comic comercial'. Would you say that's correct? Any thoughts or suggestions?

I would appreciate any input on the matter :)

5. JamesM

JamesM Senior Member

(Just a note... our "commercial" always has two m's. :) Those shared words are the hardest to spell, in my experience. )

A "comic commercial" sounds a little odd to me. After reading what I wrote a year and a half ago, I wonder what I was thinking. :)

I think I would write "a comical commercial."