Humour in Doctor Who: we should start [calling the police]

Htmx99

Japanese
Hi. I'm not sure whether I should ask this kind of question here or not but I hope it is okay. I just watched Doctor Who, Season 8, first episode, Deep Breath. Is there anyone has seen it?

VASTRA: The establishment upstairs has been disabled with maximum prejudice, and the authorities summoned.

Clara: Hang on, she called the police? We never do that, we should start.

The Doctor: (To the villain) You see? Destroy us if you will, they’re still going to close your restaurant. (A beat) That was going to sound better.

Well firstly, I'm not exactly sure what Clara is saying. Is she saying that she thought they had called the police earlier?
And, as I mentioned on the title, I couldn't get humour in the Doctor's line. Will you explain it for me?

Thank you in advance!

• Loulamer

Français - France
    Clara is saying that they never call the police when something goes bad and they should start calling them when needed.

The doctor wanted to make a strong punchline, but when he says it, it doesn't sound as good as he hoped it would.

That's what I get from what you wrote. Hope it helps, but maybe a native speaker would explain it better.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Clara is saying, "Calling the police? That's a good idea. Why don't we ever do that? It would make things easier. Let's start doing that from now on."

I'm less certain about interpreting the Doctor's line. I think he intended it as the classic riposte to the arch-villain: "You may think you have won, but really we have won! All your plans are in ruins!" Then he thinks about the "we have won / you have lost" balance . . . we'll be dead, and you'll have a closed restaurant. It was supposed to sound more dramatic and triumphant for us. 'That was going to' implies he had planned (or thought about) how it was going to sound. But in reality, it didn't sound that good.

Htmx99

Japanese
    Clara is saying that they never call the police when something goes bad and they should start calling them when needed.

The doctor wanted to make a strong punchline, but when he says it, it doesn't sound as good as he hoped it would.

That's what I get from what you wrote. Hope it helps, but maybe a native speaker would explain it better.
    Hi Loulamer. Thank you for this! It helped a lot!

Htmx99

Japanese
    Clara is saying, "Calling the police? That's a good idea. Why don't we ever do that? It would make things easier. Let's start doing that from now on."

I'm less certain about interpreting the Doctor's line. I think he intended it as the classic riposte to the arch-villain: "You may think you have won, but really we have won! All your plans are in ruins!" Then he thinks about the "we have won / you have lost" balance . . . we'll be dead, and you'll have a closed restaurant. It was supposed to sound more dramatic and triumphant for us. 'That was going to' implies he had planned (or thought about) how it was going to sound. But in reality, it didn't sound that good.
    Hi entanglebank. Thank you for giving me your explanation. I think I could get their feelings. Cheers!

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, I agree with Lou and etb; it should be clear that all of that is meant as a kind of joke sequence.

Clara is saying that calling the police would solve all their problems. (But of course it won't.)

As etb says, 'They'll close your restaurant' comes out very weak against something like 'They'll annihilate you completely'.

Htmx99

Japanese
    Yes, I agree with Lou and etb; it should be clear that all of that is meant as a kind of joke sequence.

Clara is saying that calling the police would solve all their problems. (But of course it won't.)

As etb says, 'They'll close your restaurant' comes out very weak against something like 'They'll annihilate you completely'.
    Hi natkretep. Thank you for this. It's sometimes difficult for a non-native speaker to get a joke!

< Previous | Next >