humvee

• openmind

Germany, German
    Hi think it's a special version of the Hummer vehicle and I'm curious to see what the wordreference moderators and active members have to say on this.

Focalist

European Union, English
    It's a High-Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV -- or "humvee"). The civilian "Hummer" is derived from the military HMMWV, rather than the other way round.

See here.

F

openmind

Germany, German
    Interesting link indeed. It turns out that Humvee is an arconym describing a special vehicle. S what is a Hummer than? It's a brand name but for what - a humvee?

Special K

USA English
    openmind said:
    Interesting link indeed. It turns out that Humvee is an arconym describing a special vehicle. S what is a Hummer than? It's a brand name but for what - a humvee?

Note that often people use the word "humvee" and "hummer" interchangeably. If I said "so and so drives a humvee" or "so and so drives a hummer" the American listener would understand it to mean the same thing.

I don't know what the military calls their beefed up version, but I suspect they also sometimes say humvee and sometimes say hummer.

David

Banned
    The HMMWV is the modern equivalent of the old US Jeep, a military passenger vehicle that was noted for its resilience and efficiency. The HMMWV costs 50 times as much, and while it is probably very useful in the modern military context, the civilian version costs as much as a cheap house, consumes vast amounts of petroleum, and is usually a preposterous vanity on the part of males who feel compelled to demonstrate their machismo by running around the supermarket in camouflage pants. You may assume, that any Humvee you see on the road, unless it is painted red and on its way to a forest fire, is being driven by somebody with an excess of money, contempt for the environment and for the highway safety of people in smaller vehicles, and is probably driven by a person who worships guns and almost certainly voted for Bush. He dicho.

jacinta

USA English
    David said:
    The HMMWV is the modern equivalent of the old US Jeep, a military passenger vehicle that was noted for its resilience and efficiency. The HMMWV costs 50 times as much, and while it is probably very useful in the modern military context, the civilian version costs as much as a cheap house, consumes vast amounts of petroleum, and is usually a preposterous vanity on the part of males who feel compelled to demonstrate their machismo by running around the supermarket in camouflage pants. You may assume, that any Humvee you see on the road, unless it is painted red and on its way to a forest fire, is being driven by somebody with an excess of money, contempt for the environment and for the highway safety of people in smaller vehicles, and is probably driven by a person who worships guns and almost certainly voted for Bush. He dicho.

Without fear of being persecuted, I think they should be outlawed.

Focalist

European Union, English
    jacinta said:
    Without fear of being persecuted, I think they should be outlawed.
    I take it that you didn't vote for the Ober-Gropen-Führer then, jacinta ;)

I'm very proud of the Hummer, because I created that industry. I went to the Hummer factory and said we should make this Hummer not only a military car but a civilian car.-- A. Schwarzenegger
    That endorsement is quite sufficient in itself to convince me that the "Hummer" is the devil's own vehicle (if I believed in supernatural beings, that is!).

F

David

Banned
    He doesn´t remind of an Obergrüppenführer. He reminds me of a strutting little corporal from Linz, but I can´t remember the name. Actually, that´s going a bit too far...he is not a genuine Fascist. But no, I did not vote for him, and think he is fundamentally an evil and small-minded man. Cheney, Wolfowitz, Rumsfeld and la Contessa are worse.

As for Schwarzenegger...he really doesn´t understand why people object to his friendship with Kurt Waldheim. But he was elected, and with far greater pluralities than Bush! God help us.

Incidentally, we all study languages so we can use them as vehicles for acquiring knowledge and for expressing our thoughts. Don´t be afraid of a little substantive humor once in awhile. Dave, Focalist and I are just kidding, but kidding about serious matters. Like life and death. And no, I wasn´t really threatening Dave...I am sure some great computer in the sky will be reading these posts and looking for dangerous characters. I´m just an ol´ guy deeply disappointed in how little the world seems to change..