Hungarian transliteration

< Previous | Next >

IreneStr

Dutch - The Netherlands
I am currently working on a transliteration module for as many languages as possible. I'd like to include Hungarian as well, but I am not sure about the transliterations.

The transliterations will be used in URLs and in case people only have a non-Hungarian keyboard available. Therefore, the non-standard latin characters that are used in the Hungarian alphabet should be transliterated to standard latin characters. So imagine you are typing on a old-fashioned British typewriter, without umlauts, accents etc.

Like I wrote, I am unsure about some transliterations, and I hope someone could assist me.

Google came up with conflicting transliterations:
For example, according to this site ö and ü should be transliterated to o and u.
However, according to Wikipedia ö and ü should be transliterated to oe and ue.

This is the list of characters I'd like to transliterate:
á
é
í
ó
ö
ő
ú
ü
ű

What is your perspective on the transliteration of these characters? Do you have additions? Have I overlooked certain characters?

Thank you!

• tomtombp

Hungarian
    Hello Irene, I'm not a grammar guy and this is the first time I've heard about transliteration. I just can tell you you've got all the vowels above that are specific to Hungarian. However we also have consonants that don't exist in other languages. They are called double (or triple) consonants.
    These are:
    cs
    dz
    dzs
    gy
    ly
    ny
    sz
    ty
    zs

Let me just pick one (the easiest) and compare its pronunciation with its English equivalent:
    Hungarian sz is pronounced the same as the English s
    (The Hungarian s is is pronounced as the English sh.)

For the rest let's wait for Zsana or the other grammarists.

Or you can simple google "double consonants in Hungarian".

You will get hits like this:

Alphabet and Pronunciation

There are also other differences. For example our v and w are pronounced the same.

Last edited:

IreneStr

Dutch - The Netherlands
    Thank you for the information tomtombp!

Fortunately, how consonants are pronounced does not matter for transliterations. As long as the standard latin characters are used, like 'sz', they won't cause problems in URLs.

Imagine you've written an blog about a 'körte', a pear. Would you want your URL to be www.myblog.hu/korte or www.myblog.hu/koerte (or something else without ö)?

And what about the following words?

század (company) --> szazad?
    gép (machine) --> gep?
    emelő (lever) --> emelo? emeloe?
    súly (weigth) --> suly?
    laboratórium (laboratory) --> laboratorium?
    hűho (hype) --> huho?
    hír (word) --> hir?
    füzet (pamphlet) --> fuzet? fuezet?

tomtombp

Hungarian
    Oh, ok, I understand now.
    Just simply drop the dots and apostrophes. That's what I do when I'm lazy to find special characters or that's what all Hungarians do when typing on a non-Hungarian keyboard. Everybody will understand it. Your other version would just confuse people. They would look more like typos to most people.

uress

Hungarian
    Hi! There are 2 ways:
    1. just forget all the points and kommas.
    2. telegraph-style: á=aa, é=ee, Í=ii, ó=oo, ö=oe, ő=ooe, ü=ue, ű=uue.

< Previous | Next >