hunt down vs hunt out

Annakrutitskaya

Russian
Hello!

Hunt down and hunt out seem to share the same meaning of "finding something after a long and difficult search". I wonder how should I choose which phrasal verb to choose in a particular situation?
Examples:

... I significantly increased emerging markets exposure and hunted out new idiosyncratic recovery opportunities. Financial News (subscription)-Sep 21, 2016
How would hunted down change the meaning, if it would?

He hunted out market and demographic data to show where Apple could build its own shops in the most convenient locations Financial Times-Sep 11, 2016
Same question.

After that I hunted down some Ben Jones comics and they totally blew my mind. ARTnews-47 minutes ago
Would hunt out change the meaning or add some nuance?

Thank you very much!

• "hunt down" = relentlessly follow the tracks or trail of a known prey until you find it.

"hunt out" = Suspect that a prey exists hiding somewhere, as in a bush or up a tree, and cause it to come out into the open.

They're close, but not the same.

Annakrutitskaya

Russian
    "hunt down" = relentlessly follow the tracks or trail of a known prey until you find it.

"hunt out" = Suspect that a prey exists hiding somewhere, as in a bush or up a tree, and cause it to come out into the open.

They're close, but not the same.
    I see! Thank you very much - very helpful explanation.

< Previous | Next >