"hurt someone to their soul"

andersxman

Denmark/danish
If you rip someones heart out might you say that you have "hurt them to their soul"? (What makes me unsure is the preposition "to".)

"He left her and thus he hurt her to her soul". Is that good english?

• timpeac

English (England)
    "He hurt her very soul". You can't say "hurt to the soul" because the verb is simply "to hurt" not "to hurt to".

andersxman

Denmark/danish
    Well, I asked because the lyrics of "D'yer Maker" of Led Zeppelin contains the line "you hurt me to my soul", and I wondered if it were a normal, english expression. (At times you get these idioms that transcends normal grammatical rules.)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Couldn't you consider my soul such a profound and internal part of me that it is the last place to be hurt - hence if you hurt me to my soul you have hurt me really deeply?

It's sort of "hurt me (right deep down) to my soul".

timpeac

English (England)
    andersxman said:
    Well, I asked because the lyrics of "D'yer Maker" of Led Zeppelin contains the line "you hurt me to my soul", and I wondered if it were a normal, english expression. (At times you get these idioms that transcends normal grammatical rules.)

Yes - I think I was a bit quick earlier, sorry. It is definitely not normal usage - you wouldn't say "Jane dumped her boyfriend because he hurt her to her soul" but in more poetic language (and, as you say, in a song where normal usage is often ignored) I could imagine it being said. You see this kind of usage in a few set phrases such as "to cut someone to the quick" "to get soaked to the skin" "cut to the bone" where the "to" means "as far as", so in "to the soul" it is figuratively saying "so much that it is like down to their very soul".

nycphotography

American English
    Um. According to this link, the actual lyrics are:

Ah ah ah ah ah aye music to my soul
    oh oh oh oh you heard me to my soul
    oh oh oh oh darling please dont go

Which ironically makes even LESS sense. Go figure.