hurtle away into the air

< Previous | Next >

ebrahim

Persian
Hi,

Does this red part suggest that Anna is seized by one of the brides and thrown away into the air (by her)? If yes why isn't it not 'hurtled away'?

"
but this last shot dramatizes the breakdown of découpage in the neo-baroque: with the aid of wirework, Anna is snatched by one of the brides and hurtles away from the close-up into the air—a vertical exit whose drama arises from its abrupt departure from the normative codes of classicism."

Film Theory and Contemporary Hollywood Movies, chapter two
: The Supernatural in Neo-baroque Hollywood, by Sean Cubitt

• Myridon

English - US
    One of the many unfair things about this assignment is that the author assumes you are familiar with these movies. This bit seems to be about Van Helsing and the brides are flying vampires. It would be helpful for the posters here to know this as well.
    Anna is snatched by the bride (passive) and Anna hurtles away (not passive) because the bride has picked her up.

ebrahim

Persian
    One of the many unfair things about this assignment is that the author assumes you are familiar with these movies. This bit seems to be about Van Helsing and the brides are flying vampires. It would be helpful for the posters here to know this as well.
    Anna is snatched by the bride (passive) and Anna hurtles away (not passive) because the bride has picked her up.
    Maybe the reason I can't get along with this sentence is that the is no equivalent of 'hurtle away' in my language and I'm not able to imagine the action in a good way. I wonder If the hurtling away is caused by the bride, I mean if the bride is pulling her up while keeping hold of her clothes or something like this.

Myridon

English - US
    I wonder If the hurtling away is caused by the bride, I mean if the bride is pulling her up while keeping hold of her clothes or something like this.
    Yes, that is what happens, but, as I recall, the camera is close on just Anna at this moment so you see her suddenly fly up out of the frame. The author's point is we are used to seeing someone move out of the view of the camera by moving down (the character faints, trips, falls down) or sideways (the character walks away), but moving up out of the frame is unusual.

ebrahim

Persian
    Yes, that is what happens, but, as I recall, the camera is close on just Anna at this moment so you see her suddenly fly up out of the frame. The author's point is we are used to seeing someone move out of the view of the camera by moving down (the character faints, trips, falls down) or sideways (the character walks away), but moving up out of the frame is unusual.
    Thank you very much Myridon, your explanation was of great help. :)

suzi br

English / England
    The choice of hurtles away does not suggest anything about Anna's contact with the bride. You could gloss it with rushes away or dashes away or even flies away.

The choice of present tense is to show immediacy, and may also be the convention of sticking to the present tense when describing any text which persists and can be repeatedly read / watched. She keeps on flying out of the shot however many times you choose to watch it.

e.g. Juliet falls in love with Romeo every time you read the play!

The interesting / key point seems to be her speed and angle of exit from the shot.

Last edited:

suzi br

English / England
    Another option to view the change in tense is this:
    that the bride does the snatching, but Anna is Sean's focus because of the odd way she disappears from the shot .. so switching the tense makes that shift of his focus more obvious ...... maybe!

Another option to gloss hurtles might be "swept away" Anna is snatched by one of the brides and hurtles swept away from the close-up into the air

but then, you see, we lose the focus on Anna, it is more about what the bride is doing (snatching and sweeping).

< Previous | Next >