Hurtownia

Jana337

čeština
On my trip to Poland last week, I could see the word hurtownia almost on every third house (and meble on every second! :eek: ). The dictionary says it means warehouse. However, the buildings looked more like shops. What's the difference between hurtownia and sklep, then?

Also, could anyone enlighten me on the etymology of hurtownia? It reminds me of an ancient word that exits in the Czech part of Silesia - harcovna. I have been trying to pin down its origin for a while.

Dziękuję, :)

Jana

• werrr

Možná velkoobchod, v paměti mi uvízlo spojení cena hurtowa jako velkoobchodní cena.

"České" harcovna bude asi jiného původu, určitě souvisí se slovesem harcovat ve smyslu putovat, potloukat se příp. útočit. Původ je patrně německý, ale nejsem si jistý, z čeho to je odvozené, možná z r Hort - útulek, útočiště.

A když teď nad tím přemýšlím, tak i mezi velkoobchodem a putováním je určitá souvislost.

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
    Cześć Jana, :)

Hurtownia means wholesaler in English (usually a place where a wholesaler works, hence its also translated as warehouse). The difference between hurtownia and sklep is that the first one is supposed to sell merchandise usually in big quantities and for prices lower than in stores run by retailers who in turn resell the products with some profit to ordinary people.

Hurtownia is a derivative of hurt (wholesale). According to PWN the word comes from German (couldn’t find further origin).

BTW:in which part of Poland have you seen these adverts, please? I mean the ones with meble since hurtownie seem to be typical Polish landscape especially around cities. ;)

Hope this helps,
    Tom

Seana

Polish
    Oh, Jana you probably will have little fun with it, just have a look.

'hurtownia' takes its roots from 'hurt' means - an gros
    The sale or the purchase of large amounts of the good lower than in retail trade.
    word 'hurt' is from old German word means:
    "plaited fence for the sheeps".
    In old Polish it had 3 meanings;
    1. fence, usually portable, surrounding land on which cattle were grazed
    2. the herd, the flock of the cattle
    3. large amounts

The source PWN

Jana337

čeština
    Thank you all; I will have fun with the German word. :)

It was Śląsk and a bit beyond, from Czaszyn to Krakow.

Jana

< Previous | Next >