husk into one's jacket

< Previous | Next >

defaul

French
Hi, I found this expression in a short story. The context:

The meeting over, a few of the Anons hovered by the coffee table, husking themselves into their jackets. There was motiveless chatter about the weather. After an hour of intensive gutspilling, it was nice to impersonate normal people.

Do you have any idea, what it could mean? Could it be that they are putting on the jackets? If so, why the chatter - putting on the jackets would probably mean that they would like to escape and try not get into smalltalk.

• owlman5

English-US
    Could it be that they are putting on the jackets?
    I think they are putting on their jackets.

If so, why the chatter - putting on the jackets would probably mean that they would like to escape and try not get into smalltalk.
    It is common for people to make small talk as they do something like putting on their jackets. If they are members of some group like Alcoholics Anonymous, they have something in common. Maybe some of them even like each other. If they are not in some great hurry to leave, there is no reason for them to remain silent as they leave the meeting.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    Hi, I found this expression in a short story. The context:

The meeting over, a few of the Anons hovered by the coffee table, husking themselves into their jackets. There was motiveless chatter about the weather. After an hour of intensive gutspilling, it was nice to impersonate normal people.
    "Husking" is an odd way to put it, as if the person inside the jacket were an ear of corn.:) (Not to mention that "husking" in normal use usually means taking the husk off of something.) But yes, I agree with Owlman that they are putting them on. As for the chatter about the weather, the point is included in the sentence: they'd been having serious conversations about their addictions all evening, and now they want to feel like "normal people," so they make small talk about what normal people make small talk about.

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Is this a science fiction story? (Can you tell us the title and author?) Are the "Anons" human beings, or some other sort of creature?

There are some nonstandard meanings of 'husking'--speaking huskily, and transforming. The first post example doesn't seem to fit either:

The Stone Gods - Google Books Result
    books.google.ca/books?isbn=0307366235
    Jeanette Winterson - 2010 - ‎Fiction
    An electronic keyboard crocodile-clipped to a car battery, and a nut-faced gypsy woman husking into the lollipop microphone announced a new attraction – the ...
    The Sweeper Keeper - An alternative football opinion - Life ...
    www.thesweeperkeeper.com/.../life-as-a-red-louis-van-gaal-s-diary-1/
    The memory of Gary Pallister then grabbing him by the testicles and husking into his ear “Good luck, big boy” resonated around the forefront of his mind. Training ...

==========
    Husk - OoCities
    www.oocities.org/timessquare/bridge/4665/Husk.html
    She first appeared in X-Force #32 wear she saved her brother and the rest of X-Force from the Game Master by husking into a bird. She was later abducted by ...
    Most Likely to Succeed Chapter 3 - Fanfiction.net
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/4882022/3/Most-Likely-to-Succeed
    Feb 24, 2009 - "I've checked, it's too strong to rip out," assured Monet, "Any chance of you husking into a liquid or vapor that could slip through the manacles?".

< Previous | Next >