Husk-shacks

< Previous | Next >

Lilithniahm

italiano
Good evening!
This here is the description of a very dissolute city, full of criminals, prostitutes, drunkards and so on.

During the day, the whorehouses, gaming pits, husk-shacks and drinking dens were no doubt still taking customers, like they did at night, but no longer advertising as if the world would end tomorrow.

What is a husk-shack? The presence of "husk" makes me think about some sort of hovel, a very fragile building with inconsistent walls, for instance. But there must be something else, because each of the previous terms tells us something about the activity of the building it refers to, places where you can drink, gamble, play cards and have sexual intercourses. Husk-shack doesn't tell me anything :confused:

Any suggestion? Thanks a million

• Myridon

English - US
    Judging by searching the book on Amazon.com, in this fantasy world, "husk" appears to be the name of a drug. There are references to husk-dens (compare to "opium den") and husk-pipes.

Lilithniahm

italiano
    Hi Myridon,

yes, you are definitely right. Searching the whole text for it never came to my mind, so thanks :)

< Previous | Next >