Hustle and bustle

< Previous | Next >

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
I wonder if you could tell me what would be your selection from among the following choices to fill in the blank:
Example: In today life people have no strength and patience like what people had in the past! Mostly people work from dawn to dusk to for a living and when they come back home usually they do not tend to be somewhere noisy and crowded. They need to relax and make ready for the day ahead. So it is not for nothing that these days people of some kind hate the…………of the city life.
a) hustle and bustle
b) tumult
c) uproar
d) brawl
Source: this is a self-made example.
I guess only “a” can work here. Though I am not sure about it!

• WyomingSue

English--USA
    I think you could use any of them except (d). "Brawl" has a connotation of "fighting," which there might be in the city, but I don't think that's the first thing you would think of.

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    I think you could use any of them except (d). "Brawl" has a connotation of "fighting," which there might be in the city, but I don't think that's the first thing you would think of.
    But as far as I am sure that there is only one equivalent for each concept in every language, I would be really thankful if you explain the slight semantic nuances between the first three choices! Or rather I am going to find the best choice which fits to the word in my question in Farsi. I wonder if you could being of help. ;)

WyomingSue

English--USA
    My take on the nuances, which might not be everyone's idea:
    Hustle and bustle is more the sense of movement and business, not necessarily loud noises. "Before the holidays the children stayed out of the way of the hustle and bustle in the kitchen."
    Tumult is busy in a disorganized sense, and noisy. "There was a great tumult in the city when people heard that war had been declared."
    Uproar is a loud noise, not necessarily busy. "The stadium was in an uproar after the captain received a yellow card."

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    Hustle and bustle is more the sense of movement and business, not necessarily loud noises. "Before the holidays the children stayed out of the way of the hustle and bustle in the kitchen."
    Tumult is busy in a disorganized sense, and noisy. "There was a great tumult in the city when people heard that war had been declared."
    Uproar is a loud noise, not necessarily busy. "The stadium was in an uproar after the captain received a yellow card."
    And what's your taking of the word "hubbub" as RM1 mentioned?

WyomingSue

English--USA
    Hubbub is a lot of people talking, like people walking into a stadium, or a holiday market, or waiting at the airport, or students and families at a graduation ceremony. Just my take on it, anyhow.

A-friend

Persian (Farsi)
    Hubbub is a lot of people talking, like people walking into a stadium, or a holiday market, or waiting at the airport, or students and families at a graduation ceremony. Just my take on it, anyhow.
    Thanks again WyomingSue
    Then according to your statements:
    Hustle and bustlemovement and business was your key words in your definition.
    Added: not necessarily noisy.
    Tumult → According to what you mentioned springs the word “Chaos” to my mind.
    added: not necessarily busy.
    Uproarloud noise was what draw my attention.
    Hubbub → As you mentioned means the sound of talking loudly.
    Accordingly I will stick with “a”. Because I did not necessarily emphasize on noisiness; moreover I was looking for a word which could include the connotation of city traffics and rush hours, air pollution because of plying too much cars, long distances and unbearable commuting time and so on. Do you agree with me about it?

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I agree (and she put it much better than I could).

< Previous | Next >