Hustle and bustle

< Previous | Next >

mahmoudshirin

persian
Hello,
Does the "hustle and bustle" make sense in the following sentence?

If this school is built, students will disturb our tranquility. I see that when schools are closed, kids run in streets by the hustle and bustle. Also, they always quarrel and they anger people.

Thanks,

Last edited:
  • mahmoudshirin

persian
    Thanks; I think when we are saying "kids run in the hustle and bustle of the streets"; it means that the street is noisy with the traffic or anything else. In my sentence I would like to say that the noise is created by kids.

JustKate

No, hustle and bustle doesn't work here. Sorry! Hustle and bustle always refers to the scene rather than the people: the hustle and bustle of the street, the hustle and bustle of the city, maybe the hustle and bustle of a school. But I don't think it works to refer to a specific group of activities by a specific group of people - kids, in this case.

Also, it's generally not used to refer to a wholly negative thing. Hustle and bustle might make you tired or perhaps even stressed, but it shouldn't make anybody angry.

mahmoudshirin

persian
    Thank you very much for your point. Can I rephrase this sentence as bellow? I wonder if you could help me.

If this school is built, students will disturb our tranquility. I see that when kids finish their school at 12 PM, they run in streets and make lots of noises. Also, they always quarrel and they anger people.

mahmoudshirin

persian
    Thanks a lot. Yes the red part is one of my problems. I do not know how you say it.
    But the other issue is in the "they always quarrel". I am so dubious about it.
    These are parts of my writing essay and I would appreciated it if you help me.

< Previous | Next >