hustle pool

< Previous | Next >

mrghd

Hungarian
(source: Iceberg Slim: Pimp, The story of my life)

Please help me to understand what does ’hustle pool’ << deleted text >> mean in this part of the novel:

”He said: Kid, you ain't hip I'm a genius? He called and I rapped to him this morning. I played you off as my punk nephew from Kansas City. You got wild ideas you wanta be a pimp. I've tried to chill you back to K.C. to maybe hustle pool or even be a broom mechanic. You're a stupid, stubborn punk. I've told you a thousand times you ain't got it to pimp. You gotta pimp.”

Background:
Slim wants to get introduced to Sweet Jones the pimp king of the city. One of his friends (Named ’Top Glass’) undertakes to help him with this because he is in business connection with Sweet. Top Glass invents a strategy to present Slim in an appropriate light before Sweet. He suggests saying that Slim is his nephew who wants to be a pimp. Top will pretend that he is against the idea to awake Sweet’s pride and make him prove that he can make a pimp out of Slim. He even says he proposed other forms of criminal career for Slim such as to be a broom mechanic or to hustle pool.

So, what does hustle pool mean?

<< thread split - one question per thread >>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Biffo

English - England
    "to hustle" in this context means to deceive an opponent by pretending to be less skilful at a game than you really are. Then you persuade them to play for money and beat them. The idea is to win for a while before making a large bet that you know you will win.

hustle v.tr.1. To push or convey in a hurried or rough manner: hustled the prisoner into a van.
    2. To cause or urge to proceed quickly; hurry: hustled the board into a quick decision.
    3. Slanga. To sell or get by questionable or aggressive means: hustled stolen watches; hustling spare change.
    b. To pressure into buying or doing something: a barfly hustling the other customers for drinks.
    c. To misrepresent one's skill in (a game or activity) in order to deceive someone, especially in gambling: hustle pool.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hustle

Concise Oxford English Dictionary © 2008 Oxford University Press:
    pool 2
    noun 4 a game played on a billiard table using two sets of seven balls together with one black ball and a white cue ball.

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/pool

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >