Hustle tricks

< Previous | Next >

teresio

Italian
I've found this sentence, in a novel set in New Orleans. It describes the job of a lower-class woman, with no education, in 1950's New Orleans "She worked in bars and nightclubs as a barmaid, hustling tricks and rolling drunks.". What's the meaning of "hustling tricks"?

• kentix

English - U.S.
    And rolling drunks means stealing their money when they were too drunk to notice.

Last edited:

Packard

USA, English
    For some reason the writer did not want to label her as a prostitute. Possibly because it was a crime of opportunity. If the opportunity arose she would accept money for sex, but possibly she did not go out there looking to find a John (a potential customer).

The above is just a guess, however.

teresio

Italian
    For some reason the writer did not want to label her as a prostitute. Possibly because it was a crime of opportunity. If the opportunity arose she would accept money for sex, but possibly she did not go out there looking to find a John (a potential customer).

The above is just a guess, however.
    Exactly. He hesitated to label her as a prostitute for two reasons: because she was his mother and it was a crime of opportunity

Myridon

English - US
    She's a barmaid who turns tricks on the side. Hustling is her side hustle. ;) He doesn't think of her as a "prostitute" because it's not her main job.
    Saying "hustling tricks" is not a euphemism. It's not more polite. He hasn't avoided saying she's sells sex for money.

Packard

USA, English
    She's a barmaid who turns tricks on the side. Hustling is her side hustle. ;) He doesn't think of her as a "prostitute" because it's not her main job.
    Saying "hustling tricks" is not a euphemism. It's not more polite. He hasn't avoided saying she's sells sex for money.
    But he did avoid calling her a prostitute. That is what I would expect a woman selling sex to be called. But as a "side line" perhaps not.

Myridon

English - US
    But he did avoid calling her a prostitute. That is what I would expect a woman selling sex to be called. But as a "side line" perhaps not.
    "Prostitute" is equal to "person who turns tricks". Nothing is softened (lady of the night) or avoided. Calling someone a cop is not avoiding saying "police officer".

Packard

USA, English
    "Prostitute" is equal to "person who turns tricks". Nothing is softened (lady of the night) or avoided. Calling someone a cop is not avoiding saying "police officer".
    No. Calling someone a prostitute is giving her a label. The other is describing a pattern of behavior. Labeling a woman as a prostitute seems far worse to me.

Myridon

English - US
    No. Calling someone a prostitute is giving her a label. The other is describing a pattern of behavior. Labeling a woman as a prostitute seems far worse to me.
    So if it said "She tends bar." that would be hesitating to call her a bartender?

Packard

USA, English
    So if it said "She tends bar." that would be hesitating to call her a bartender?
    It is a negative label. Negative labels are more onerous.

Which is worse:

“Myridon, that was a stupid thing to say.”

Or

“Myridon, you said that? You’re a moron!”

The first is a description, the second is a label.

< Previous | Next >