hustle

< Previous | Next >

JuriTerreni

Chinese-China
From TV series<Grace and Frankie>,

Grace and two guys are playing darts in a bar. She just shot in theb bull's eye. And one of the guys says:"I think she's hustling us."
Grace says:"You're next, Abandoned Husband. I hope you're not as bad as Workers' Comp."

I feel like it means she's beating us, but I couldn't find the similar meaning in the dictionary, so I don't know what it really means here.
Thank you.

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Hustling someone means cheating them, but often has a more specific meaning (which it has in this TV scene):

A "hustler" is someone who plays some game at an expert or professional level, but pretends they play poorly. They do that so that people will bet money (that they can beat the hustler). But the hustler always wins, because of their skill. The most famous hustlers played pool, and there was an award-winning 1961 movie "The Hustler" about that. But it can be any game.

In the TV scene, he is just giving her a compliment on her good play, by calling her a darts hustler. They are not betting and he does not think she is cheating.

JuriTerreni

Chinese-China
    Hustling someone means cheating them, but often has a more specific meaning (which it has in this TV scene):

A "hustler" is someone who plays some game at an expert or professional level, but pretends they play poorly. They do that so that people will bet money (that they can beat the hustler). But the hustler always wins, because of their skill. The most famous hustlers played pool, and there was an award-winning 1961 movie "The Hustler" about that. But it can be any game.

In the TV scene, he is just giving her a compliment on her good play, by calling her a darts hustler. They are not betting and he does not think she is cheating.
    You're right, I thought cheating was awkward here.

< Previous | Next >