Hustler

< Previous | Next >

Salegrosso

Verona (Italy)
Hello you all.
Is there an English word to describe a champion in some sport or game who pretends to be not skill? Say, he speaks and behaves like an incapable, but in fact he's very skill.
Is there such a word with a sound similar to huster, hasty, hustler?
(I've heared the word in a crowded noisy cellar bar).

• lsp

NY
    US, English
    A hustler is an expert who pretends to be less skillful than he is.

Hopefully a mod will edit the title to reflect the right spelling.

lsp

NY
    US, English
    Hello to you all.
    Is there an English word to describe a champion in some sport or game who pretends to be not skill (not very skilled or unskilled)? Say, he speaks and behaves like an he's incapable, but in fact he's very skilled.
    Is there such a word with a sound similar to huster, hasty, hustler?
    (I've heared heard the word in a crowded noisy cellar bar).
    I should have made a few edits to your question that I hope will also help. :)

Saoul

Italian
    I would like to revamp this 12 year old thread because I can't think of a good translation for the term "hustler" in the context of music production, DJing...
    The hustle is basically "making money at whatever cost" and "hustler" is the person who is open to do whatever it takes to make money. It's generally referred to selling drugs, prostitution and such, but it's quite commonly used to talk about producers and artists especially in hip hop...
    I'm trying to think about a term that would possibly cover the idea of "making money" toning down the aspect of illegal activities.

Any ideas? Mods, if you want me to open a new thread, just let me know. :)

Saoul

Italian
    Grazie Paul. Anch'io per il momento ho messo "trafficone", ma non credo che sia la parola che meglio identifica questo tipo di realtà. Il "trafficone" è fondamentalmente una persona che opera in un qualche ambiente senza necessariamente averne le capacità, che muove un certo tipo di business ma in maniera poco professionale. Nel contesto della mia traduzione, parliamo di produttori musicali che guadagnano miliardi e che in qualche modo hanno un background, una carriera, conoscenze, insomma, che hanno delle capacità precise, ma che per essere "gangsta" usano i termini "hustle" e "hustler" anziché semplicemente parlare di "lavoro".

rrose17

Canada, English
    Interesting. I, for one, know the word "hustler" with two two distinctly different connotations. One, like the one Saoul is referring to, is someone "on the make" someone always with an angle to take advantage of. Someone like the protagonist from the 1961 film "The Hustler" which I believe in Italian was translated as "Lo Spaccone". But I think there is an equally common usage to say someone is a hustler or knows how to hustle with the meaning that they are not lazy and will work very hard to achieve success but no inference that there's anything shady about them.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    But I think there is an equally common usage to say someone is a hustler or knows how to hustle with the meaning that they are not lazy and will work very hard to achieve success but no inference that there's anything shady about them.
    Oddly enough, I would use the verb "to hustle" without connotations of shadiness--though "to know how to hustle" to my mind has more to do with networking and putting oneself forward than with plain old hard work--but not the noun "hustler." A "hustler" is always out for himself at other people's expense. But this might just be me. :)

rrose17

Canada, English
    I know back when I was running a clothing business to be a sales rep you needed to be a hustler and this term got bandied about all the time, as a positive attribute. And to hustle would mean to be on the phone, to be in the car, doing what it takes to get the sale. “Hustle up some business” would be another well-used expression.

In the "positive" sense, pehaps "venditore energetico e convincente".
    And "to hustle", perhaps "vendere o procurarsi (qs) con azione energica (e a volte disonesta)" - my brackets (La Repubblica) .

Last edited:

Saoul

Italian
    First of all, thank you all! You helped me understand why I am struggling with this term... The range of nuances that goes from very positive to extremely negative.

At first I thought I would go with "faccendiere" but it was too negative.

I decided to go with "intrallazzatore" (hustler) and intrallazzi (hustle), because it still has a certain sense of shadiness to it, but it's not as bad as "faccendone", or "trafficone", and it conveys the idea of someone who would do anything they possibly can to get what they want.

theartichoke

English - Canada
    "The true story of the 1973 tennis match between World number one Billie Jean King and ex-champ and serial hustler Bobby Riggs."
    Battle of the Sexes (2017) - IMDb

In questo caso come si potrebbe tradurre?
    From his Wikipedia entry: "Riggs was famous as a hustler and gambler,[22][23] when in his 1949 autobiography he wrote that he had made $105,000 ($1,930,000 today) in 1939 by betting, in England, on himself to win all three Wimbledon championships: the singles, doubles and mixed doubles." So it seems to be "hustler" in its very specific sports-betting sense, which the WR dictionary translates as baro professionista. But I have no idea whether that can be applied to a tennis player!

Tellure

Italian
    From his Wikipedia entry: "Riggs was famous as a hustler and gambler,[22][23] when in his 1949 autobiography he wrote that he had made $105,000 ($1,930,000 today) in 1939 by betting, in England, on himself to win all three Wimbledon championships: the singles, doubles and mixed doubles." So it seems to be "hustler" in its very specific sports-betting sense, which the WR dictionary translates as baro professionista. But I have no idea whether that can be applied to a tennis player!
    Grazie mille, theartichoke. :)

Tellure

Italian
    Grazie, ragazzi. :)

E "serial"?

Edit:

Credo che questa definizione sia quella più adatta al mio contesto:

3 Informal. an expert gambler or game player who seeks out challengers, especially unsuspecting amateur ones, in order to win money from them:
    He earned his living as a pool hustler.
    Definition of hustler | Dictionary.com

Last edited:

rrose17

Canada, English
    No, I don't think it means this kind of hustler also called a shark or a grifter. I don't think they're being that negative towards him. I think he was someone always on the lookout for an angle to take advantage of, how to game the system, not necessarily fool people out of their money. He loved getting his name on TV, for example.

Tellure

Italian
    No, I don't think it means this kind of hustler also called a shark or a grifter. I don't think they're being that negative towards him. I think he was someone always on the lookout for an angle to take advantage of, how to game the system, not necessarily fool people out of their money. He loved getting his name on TV, for example.
    Per quel che vale, sono d'accordo.
    Grazie, rrose!

< Previous | Next >