Hustler's hustler

Södertjej

Spanish ES/Swedish (utlandssvensk)
This expression is used as a reply in a dialogue where some guys are going for a night out. One of them says he's can't wait to get some girl home that night and the reply to that by the other character is "Hustler's hustler".

I'm not sure what it means in this context. If it can be a reference to a song by the same title or what. Thanks so much.

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    To hustle someone is to propose sex for money - a prostitute hustles clients.

By calling someone a hustler's hustler, in these circumstances, you are suggesting

a. that the girl is a prostitute.
    b. the the guy is going to insist on being paid.

It's quite an elaborate, though playful, I suspect, insult.

If there is a song of the same name that would soften the expression.

Niblib

English - Australia
    To hustle someone is to propose sex for money - a prostitute hustles clients.

By calling someone a hustler's hustler, in these circumstances, you are suggesting

a. that the girl is a prostitute.
    b. the the guy is going to insist on being paid.

It's quite an elaborate, though playful, I suspect, insult.

If there is a song of the same name that would soften the expression.
    Or, if it's not a specific girl, the man could be saying the only way the other could bring a girl home is by paying her. I agree with the playful insult comment.

Södertjej

Thanks so much Thomas. I'm confused because the guys are just going out but not looking for prostitutes.

On the other hand the song (if it has anything to do with this, which I don't know but i's the kind of music these characters listen to) has nothing to do with prostitutes. I know links are not allowed but I'll just copy here a couple of lines of the song that include this expression.

She's the type of girl to take your heart away
    Shorty bad as hell do whatever it takes
    She won't ever let nothing ever stand in her way (naw)
    Cause she got to get it
    She's a Hustler's Hustler

(Hustler's Hustler - Ginuwine)

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    That might suggest then, Södertjej, that she's such a hustler that she would even hustle a hustler. I doubt if that's what is meant in your original quotation - which is, after all, said by a man, of a man.

Södertjej

Thanks to you both (sorry Niblib I hadn't seen your message). I was wondering if it was some kind of slang, like that used in rap where bad doesn't mean bad.

BellaDancer

I take it to mean that she -- or he -- is the best hustler, the top of the heap, the essence of hustling, the definition of hustler.

An actor will sometimes be known as an actor's actor -- one whom other actors admire, who inhabits his roles completely and compellingly.

A hustler's hustler conveys a kind of respect, even if it an amused respect, at being the best at something, even if it is not necessarily something admirable in polite society.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >