hut in our living room?

< Previous | Next >

ddubug

Korean
Hi,
I need your help.

<I have to build a hut on a major biblical holiday, 'Sukkoth'. But our apartment's manager doesn't give me a permission for using the courtyard. So I go to my backup plan: building the hut in our living room. THis is not ideal for two reasons. The first reason is that it's a hut in our living room.>

It's funny... I know the meaning. But can't get the idea of last sentence.

<<There are some problems with building the hut in our living room. First reason is that it's hut in our living room.>>

It's useless repeatation, right? I have to set the big TV in my small living room. But it's not good idea. Because it's a TV in my living room????
It doesn't make sense....does it?

Please help me with this....

• Forero

It's a play on words that uses the same words to carry a different meaning - but only slightly different. Our living room is not the ideal place to build a hut. Two reasons. The first is that our living room would be occupied by a hut.

cfu507

Hebrew
    In addition: you should see the stars through the thatch (the ceiling of the Sukkah). You can’t see them when it is in your living room.

dannyv

Hi,
    I need your help.

<I have to build a hut on a major biblical holiday, 'Sukkoth'. But our apartment's manager doesn't will not give me a permission for using to use the courtyard. So I go to my backup plan: building the hut in our living room. THis is not ideal for two reasons. The first reason is that it's a hut in our living room.>
    It is funny! :) I hope you do not mind some of the suggested edits I made. Also, your question should read: "Can you understand this?" Remember, questions need inversion: You can. => Can you? Great work! :)

ddubug

Korean
    [moderator's note: this thread from here on was merged into a previous thread for the same question.]

Hi,
    I need help.

<According to Jewish law, I've decided to build a 'hut' on the biblical holiday called the Feast of Ingatering-or Sukkoth-. I tried to build it outside my apartment, which was rejected by the building manager.
    So I go to my backup plan: building the hut in our living room. This is not ideal for two reasons. The first reason is that it's a hut in our living room. Second is that my hut wouldn't not be built outside.>

What is the difference between first and second??

I don't get this.....

bibliolept

AE, Español
    It's not necessarily a repetition. It's certainly not ideal to have a hut in one's living room; I can imagine that it's far from convenient.

There is some difference between saying "I'd rather not have it in my living room" and "It would be much better and would make more sense to build it outdoors."

anothersmith

English, U.S.
    I agree that it's meant to be witty.

I'm posting only to mention that someone posed the same question about the same text a few months back. I've searched for it, but apparently "hut," "living room" and "Sukkoth" aren't in the title. Maybe someone with a better memory than I can find it. It had some responses that might be helpful here.

bibliolept

AE, Español
    I still think the author is underscoring two different causes of complaint:
    1) It's a pain the in bahookie to have a hut in your living room.
    2) Building a building (the hut) inside another building is not ideal: it defeats the purpose and makes his "experiment"/"experience" less valid or authentic. He would not be pleased if it were built in his kitchen, in his neighbor's living room, or in a warehouse.

That said, the author is probably aiming for a comedic effect.

Trisia

Romanian
    I still think the author is underscoring two different causes of complaint:

2) Building a building (the hut) inside another building is not ideal: it defeats the purpose and makes his "experiment"/"experience" less valid or authentic. He would not be pleased if it were built in his kitchen, in his neighbour's living room, or in a warehouse.
    I agree with this distinction. (and appreciate the humour of the post itself)

The guy is trying to follow the customs quite closely if he's even thinking of building a hut. Doing that inside spoils the whole idea of temporary shelter, pilgrimage and the like.

< Previous | Next >