hybird letter (hybrid)

< Previous | Next >
  • Kelly B

USA English
    I'm guessing it is a typographical error for "hybrid," but without context, I still don't know what it actually means.

garryknight

UK, English
    Kelly's right - without context it's almost impossible to guess. And the FAQ suggests the following:
    5. Provide an example sentence to show the context, whenever possible. Additional comments on the application for technical terms are strongly suggested.
    If you can provide context or an example sentence, it's possible that someone will recognise the term.

MrMagoo

Westphalia, Germany; German
    Hi pegaso,

I can only guess, too - but "hybrid" means 'mixed' in a kind of way, so I'm assuming that a "hybrid letter" can be a ligature, a letter that actually consists of two letters.

These kind of letters have been used especially in former times for printing: Letter combinations that occured in a language very often have been put together to form a single letter which saved time and space for publishers when setting the letter-types for printing a book.

I don't know if there are any of these ligatures left in English - do you know about the older "fracture style" of writing (many serious newspapers still use them for their titles)?, e.g.

This writing style is of German origin and here, many ligatures have been created to be used for publishing reasons, e.g.

AE, ae, OE, and oe are still used e.g. in Swedish.

The German "ß" was put together from s+z or s+s:

("ß" is the only remaining ligature that still survives in German handwriting).

Some ligatures still exist when used for printing books or newspapers, one that you can find quite often is the ligature of "f+f" and "f+t" (compare "ff" and "ft" in a book to their single equivalents and you'll notice slight differences.)

I guess this might be what you were looking for ;)
    Best wishes
    -MrMagoo

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Mr. Magoo may be on to something. I used to work as a typesetter...that will give you the idea that I coexisted with dinosaurs... and we had ligatures...combination letters on a single piece of metal or wood type. They included ff, fi, ffi, ae and a few others I cannot recall.

Given the lack of context, a hybrid letter might also be a letter--correspondence-- that includes both personal and business matters.

Finally, it might describe the taxonomy of hybridized plants, which are often named by letters indicating the male and female parents.

We await more information from you.

best regards,
    Cuchuflete

Edwin

USA / Native Language: English
    First hit on ''hybrid letter'' from Google is to a post at WordReference.com (!!), namely, http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=33726, that says:

JasonNPato said:
    I was wondering if anyone could help me translate this. It's a bit of a "hybrid" letter, I know, but can you guys please translate the first part and correct the second (Italian part). I know there must be some mistakes in there, as my Italian grammar is just atrociously bad. ;)
    Vi ringrazio in anticipo,

Ciao bella!
    I'm at work, baby, and I miss you so. I wish I would've been able to talk with you before work, but i couldn't
    , because you weren't online. That's okay though, I'll forgive you this time.

Has your present come in the mail yet? Spero che tu ti piace. se non, poi tu puoi rispedirla. Non mi importera'. Sebbene ho paura assai che tu non ti piace. E` solo un po'....ummmmmmmmm....noioso. Per piacere non lo odiai.

Ti voglio bene, tesora! TANTO TANTO BENE!

e ti parlero` a dopo.
    baci e abbracci, per sempre,
    Jason
    So, in this case it simply means a letter that is a mixture of English and Italian.

< Previous | Next >